Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

British Guy In Love With American Woman - Gotta Somehow Get To D.C. In 2013!

British Guy In Love With American Woman - Gotta Somehow Get To D.C. In 2013!

Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:19 am
Just Joined

mrneonshuffle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Guy In Love With American Woman - Gotta Somehow Get To D.C. In 2013!

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any helpful advice.

I am from England and recently have had a whirlwind romance with an American woman, we have fallen madly in love with each other and we have decided together that I should move out to be with her. I have always dreamed of living in the U.S. so this decision has been easy for us to make, even if the reality will be somewhat harder to achieve.

I am currently in full-time employment as a manager for Royal Mail and studying part-time for a master's degree in management. My lectures end in January 2013 and after that I have to complete my dissertation, but this does not tie me down to England - infact I am trying to formulate a research plan so I can do my research in the U.S. on a particular industry there, and I am hoping I can do this in late Jan-early Feb 2013. I figure this will also help me a lot in gaining employment in the U.S.

I know some of you will want to bring me down to earth a bit with my expectations but I am going to start looking for entry level management positions in the DC metro area asap (just finalising my resume).

Also I know marriage is one answer and I know she is the one I want to marry but I want to propose when the time is right not for a green card

If there is anyone on here who lives in the Washington DC metro area (my girlfriend lives in Takoma Park and we would want to live together) aswell that can help me out with any contacts that would be amazing.

Thanks so much for reading and I really hope to hear from some of you soon, please help us achieve our dream.

Stuart
Old Sep 24th 2012, 11:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Guy In Love With American Woman - Gotta Somehow Get To D.C. In 2013!

You really need to find out just what sort of visa you might be able to apply for, getting a visa to work in the USA isn't a simple task,

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA
is a good starting point, you may also like to look at these parts of the site.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Plenty of help on there to see just what is possible.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Shangri-lass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Guy In Love With American Woman - Gotta Somehow Get To D.C. In 2013!

Hey there!
I have just joined this website in order to seek advice about moving to Canada...for the very same reason you have posted about!!! So even though we are needing info about different countries, I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone and I too am determined to be with the love of my life (after having given up hope that such a thing exists!). We too have had a whirlwind romance and all we know right now is that we have to be together, everything else is detail (but BIG detail!). Good luck with your journey, as John Lennon sang 'love is the answer, and you know that for sure' .
all the best
S
Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrneonshuffle
Also I know marriage is one answer and I know she is the one I want to marry but I want to propose when the time is right not for a green card
you're marrying so you can be together.

no harm or foul in that.

it is what it is.

get married and be together.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Congrats on getting married
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Expect to have a long, long wait for an employer to offer you an entry level management jobs - the US has thousands of graduates and middle managers also looking for the same jobs.

If you don't get sponsorship from your prospective wife, you won't be coming to the US.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

EnglandToAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
you're marrying so you can be together.

no harm or foul in that.

it is what it is.

get married and be together.
Agree with this, doesn't sound to me like you're marrying for a Green Card, you're marrying her so you can be together

Anyways, hello! Our stories are a little similar, albeit i've just graduated and have a slightly less clear idea on the exact path I'd like to take, but i'll be interested to see how you do .

Just as a matter of interest, how do you guys do with scheduling work and time together? We sometimes have to get pretty creative with it, so always interested in how other couples do!

Best of luck with it all, hope both of us can be successful with it all
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglandToAmerica
Agree with this, doesn't sound to me like you're marrying for a Green Card, you're marrying her so you can be together

Anyways, hello! Our stories are a little similar, albeit i've just graduated and have a slightly less clear idea on the exact path I'd like to take, but i'll be interested to see how you do .

Just as a matter of interest, how do you guys do with scheduling work and time together? We sometimes have to get pretty creative with it, so always interested in how other couples do!

Best of luck with it all, hope both of us can be successful with it all
As this forum is for introductions only...why don't you open a new thread over in the US Forum? The US Forum is the place to discuss things relating to the US...therefore you should get a much better response to your questions in that forum.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:24 am
Just Joined

EnglandToAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As this forum is for introductions only...why don't you open a new thread over in the US Forum? The US Forum is the place to discuss things relating to the US...therefore you should get a much better response to your questions in that forum.
I was mostly only asking the OP, rather than asking a general question . 'You guys' did make it sound like I was asking everyone I guess, was only really aimed at the OP and his lady.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglandToAmerica
I was mostly only asking the OP, rather than asking a general question . 'You guys' did make it sound like I was asking everyone I guess, was only really aimed at the OP and his lady.
Remember, everything on here is public so can be read by all, to chat with one member in particular and ask specific questions is what the PM system is for.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

mrneonshuffle is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I posted in the wrong area, it was intended as an introduction but then also got a bit too specific I suppose!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Get married.

It would be fraud if you got married for a green card, that is not what you would be doing. You would marry so you could be together. Do not cut off your nose to spite the immigration requirements. Just get married, it will be for the right reasons.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrneonshuffle
Sorry I posted in the wrong area, it was intended as an introduction but then also got a bit too specific I suppose!
You posted in the correct forum.