Reload this Page >

Re-expatriating an expat

Re-expatriating an expat

Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

lynnylou2u is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-expatriating an expat

Hello one and all!

Let me just say that I am very glad that I’ve found this site! I may be something of an imposter as I am actually a US citizen, soon to be a dual UK citizen (papers being processed at the minute – fingers crossed!). My hubby’s English (married nearly 5 years now!) and I’ve lived here in the UK for going on 6 years. Pretty much all of my ‘adult’ life has been here in the UK as I moved directly after uni. For instance I’ve never had a full time job in the US (that wasn’t a summer-job) and I really do feel like I’m sort of caught between both places. Maybe that’s the best of both worlds?

Anyway, my husband and I always talked about moving back to the US. He’s always been willing to give it a go at some point (perhaps more excited at the prospect of moving than me even). It was and still is I suppose, the long-term goal. But now it may be even more of a reality as the job that he has may want him to start a new office, most likely in NYC. I’ve been so happy living in the UK that I am certainly hesitant and unsure about how I would feel living in the US again.

Now I am no stranger to paper work or filling in forms for visas and the like, but everything that makes me cringe about filing my US taxes (too many numbered forms, inane instructions for everything, so many different options, etc.) will mean my worst fears realised trying to get my husband’s forms together.

I have many questions, and everyone seems so helpful that I know that this would make the transition easier, whenever it may happen.

Thanks in advance for all of the assistance!

Lynnylou2u
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-expatriating an expat

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:20 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lynnylou2u

Welcome to BE - you have certainly come to the right place.

...hey you're no imposter - you're about as Brit as it gets !!!
I would recommend you check out our USA forum which you can find by clicking the 'froum index' tab at the top left of this page. Scroll down the countries, double click USA and you're in.
You are experiencing all those same feelings every expat to be goes through, so you will be able to chat with like minded people who have been through the same. The folks on the forum will be able to help with lots of tips and advice - especially with the dreaded form filling ! Plus it always helps to make new friends in the area you will be moving to.

Just pop in and say hi and the rest will follow.

All the very best

Dread - x
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

'Allo and welcome to BE.

Happy posting to the site.