Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

A question re UK drivers license

A question re UK drivers license

Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

englishadguy is a jewel in the roughenglishadguy is a jewel in the roughenglishadguy is a jewel in the roughenglishadguy is a jewel in the roughenglishadguy is a jewel in the rough
Default A question re UK drivers license

I am an English guy who moved to Canada in 1987. I am moving back to the UK Sept. 18th for at least a year.
My question is this: I had a UK drivers license in good standing when I left. Can i simply renew my old license? I also have an Ontario license in good standing.
Cheers,

Gary
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:09 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question re UK drivers license

Originally Posted by englishadguy
I am an English guy who moved to Canada in 1987. I am moving back to the UK Sept. 18th for at least a year.
My question is this: I had a UK drivers license in good standing when I left. Can i simply renew my old license? I also have an Ontario license in good standing.
Cheers,

Gary
Hi Englishadguy

Welcome to BE.

This is one question I can answer.
Unless your previous licence has passed its expiry date, then it is still valid in the UK. If you still have the licence document then you can drive with the same one, If not, you will be able to renew via the DVLA in Swansea. There is a fee but I am not sure how much it is these days. The necessary forms are on the DVLA website, along with a list of fees.

Are you looking forward to returning to the UK? Which area will you be in?

You may wish to check out our moving back to the UK forum as there might be some useful information. You will find it on the forum index page (tab on pink bar at top of this page).

all the best

Dread - x
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Gary
Hi there and welcome to BE.

You can get the relevant forms from most UK Post Offices (you can probably download them on-line)...giving the DVLA your new UK address. They will issue you with a new UK driving license. If you know your old DL number or can provide a photo copy...the better.

If you have further questions about this or any other subject relating to the UK...please post it in our Moving Back To The UK Forum. You will get a much better response in the MBTTUK forums from people who have actually moved back or are in the process of moving back home.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:44 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Gary
Hello Gary,

You've been over here too long ... so have I. When searching try to remember it's a Driving Licence back home, not a Driver's License. (Looks better in government e-mail correspondence too, but not a hanging point).

When I renewed mine in the UK (over 10 years ago ... I'd need another now), it was done based on my Ontario Driver's Licence. (I don't think my original UK Driving Licence came into play, because it was decades out of date). The DVLA simply granted me a plain (car) UK Driving Licence —nothing 'Provisional' and no 'L-plates', but nothing beyond a car— (not that I planned to drive an artic). It was straight forward, though I do remember being told if I intended to stay for less than 12 months that I didn't need to bother, but I had filled everything and paid by then.

Make sure you have both your old UK and your current Ontario licence as well, and there should be no problem.

Best,
Christian

Last edited by Christian; Sep 18th 2011 at 6:25 am.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:39 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Gary
Hi Gary,

Looking by the date you posted this you are probably already over in the UK. So the best of luck with your move.

If you haven't checked out the DVLA site yet here is a great link that explains about how to exchange your Canadian license.

Sue