Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Preparing for ex-pat in Moscow or Shanghai

Preparing for ex-pat in Moscow or Shanghai

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

canard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant future
Default Preparing for ex-pat in Moscow or Shanghai

Hi All, glad to have found such an active site.

Am being considered for an internal transfer with my company for 2-3 years to either Moscow or Shanghai (currently living in UK).

I'm married, three kids in Primary school. Both locations will cover housing and schooling, but beyond that... Sooooooo many questions. Which offer the best quality of living, which are the safest and which City/Country is best on the CV when we come home in a few years?

Anyway, looking forward joining in the discussions and getting the advice of those who've been through it all before us.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:58 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing for ex-pat in Moscow or Shanghai

Originally Posted by canard78
Hi All, glad to have found such an active site.

Am being considered for an internal transfer with my company for 2-3 years to either Moscow or Shanghai (currently living in UK).

I'm married, three kids in Primary school. Both locations will cover housing and schooling, but beyond that... Sooooooo many questions. Which offer the best quality of living, which are the safest and which City/Country is best on the CV when we come home in a few years?

Anyway, looking forward joining in the discussions and getting the advice of those who've been through it all before us.

Hello canard78,

I myself am unaware of any direct information regarding Russia —that doesn't mean there isn't any here— it's just I immigrated to the west, not the east.

However, both Super Moderator Mitzyboy and the administrator, Sue, cover the Far East, and other countries in Europe without designated moderators, so you are in very capable hands. This is the link for the general European Forums, where you would want to post regarding Russia, and Moscow itself.

bakedbean is the Concierge for the Far East and she can act as your tour-guide in the Far East Forums, and there is one specific to China, and with the following qualifications: "Living in, or moving to, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Beijing ..."

I might recommend you read all the stickied threads at the top of each forum, and BE Wiki is an excellent source for information as well.

Because of the time difference, Jerseygirl, and the afore mentioned Sue, will be along in a few hours to welcome you properly, but until you are better welcomed, greetings from Ontario, Canada!

With every good wish,
Christian
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

canard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant future

Hi Christian, thank you for your detailed response. Very useful. I'll be sure to do some reading accross the forum for a while and see what I get from the existing threads.

My wife and I are stilling feeling in a little bit of a spin. 3 months ago the idea of ex-patting (real word?) had never occured to us, in fact we'd even discussed the reality of living in the same town until at least the kids finished school. Now these two opportunities have come up and it's almost the only thing we talk about. The kids don't know yet - no need to distract them from a new term in UK for now.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:54 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Canard

I see Christian has already given you the links which seem most likley to be of help to you.
We have a working abroad by profession forum, which you will find by scrolling down past all the countries listed on the forum index page and is in the section below that. I don't know if your profession is listed there, but do check as you may find fellow like minded folks there too.

That just leaves me to say welcome to BE and good luck with your secondment - both sound like extremely interesting places to go and experience.

Dread - x
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:18 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Preparing for ex-pat in Moscow or Shanghai

Hi Christian, thank you for your detailed response. Very useful. I'll be sure to do some reading accross the forum for a while and see what I get from the existing threads.

My wife and I are stilling feeling in a little bit of a spin. 3 months ago the idea of ex-patting (real word?) had never occured to us, in fact we'd even discussed the reality of living in the same town until at least the kids finished school. Now these two opportunities have come up and it's almost the only thing we talk about. The kids don't know yet - no need to distract them from a new term in UK for now.
Pleasure, mate!

BTW: I like ‘ex-patting’ ... has a much needed modern ring to it.

I can understand your concerns for your children, weighing whether offering them stability and a well-grounded sense of place in their formative years is better, vs living abroad, exposing them to other cultures and giving them a wider perspective on life. No right or wrong answer to that one, in my humble ... at the end of the day, you'll make the best decision for your own family, as only you can.

Best,
Christian

Last edited by Christian; Sep 24th 2011 at 8:21 am.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Christian
Pleasure, mate!

BTW: I like ‘ex-patting’ ... has a much needed modern ring to it.

I can understand your concerns for your children, weighing whether offering them stability and a well-grounded sense of place in their formative years is better, vs living abroad, exposing them to other cultures and giving them a wider perspective on life. No right or wrong answer to that one, in my humble ... at the end of the day, you'll make the best decision for your own family, as only you can.

Best,
Christian
I think my wife and I are (almost) certain that we're going to take one of them - but given I may end up getting a straight choice between them, I wish I knew which one would be best - both from a family experience and for future work prospects.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:53 am

I think my wife and I are (almost) certain that we're going to take one of them - but given I may end up getting a straight choice between them, I wish I knew which one would be best - both from a family experience and for future work prospects.
I can't say my opinion would carry any experience or insight with it. In the main, nobody from the outside travelled through Russia, let alone lived their for over 70 years ... no British presence there since Nicholas II married Queen Victoria's granddaughter. Yet, it has been largely open for some 20 years now. It would certainly be more western and thus familiar by comparison, but only by comparison. (I don't know the weather wouldn't be a challenge though ... think about it: Who would go to Moscow in winter, if one didn't have to do?) But what living there is actually like today, and what it means to your CV and future situation(s), I don't know. Shanghai would certainly be more foreign, yet ironically there has been a greater, and more continuous history of western and British interests there. Living information for either location should be more easy to find on this site. I don't know you're line of work, but perhaps a senior colleague without a vested interest in your move, might be able to offer some insights of value, even be able to recommend which he might choose.

Good luck with things!

Regards,
Christian
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Canard. Think you've already found your way over to the Far East forum. I'm afraid I've never been to China so have absolutely no knowledge. Possibly our other Concierge for Far East, Nonthaburi, has. He's a little bit closer in Thailand anyway

There's a growing number of posters in the China sub-forum who are living and working there and you should get some answers from some of those. Happy planning