British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Overstayed in Uk...help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/overstayed-uk-help-671492/)

teambrunda Jun 7th 2010 8:43 pm

Overstayed in Uk...help

Hi Forum the names B. Smith, Basically Ive been traveling back and forth to Europe for the last 10 yrs...on the last 2 yrs of my passport , I overstayed in London...I was only meant to be there for 6 months to visit friends etc, but fell madly in love...I overstayed from Oct 07-April 2010...I plan on asking this woman to marry me. If she visits me in the U.S. I want to marry her here, but if I want to return with her to London, how has overstaying gonna affect me?....Do they even know I overstayed, noone said anything to me leaving U.K. or entering USA. My passport has expired and I've already sent for a new one. I left England voluntarily and with my own funds, how long am I banned?...I really appreciate any help....B. Smith

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Overstayed in Uk...help

Hello and welcome to BE.

I'm not really sure BE is the correct website for your question as this is for British Expats and few if any of us know anything about British Immigration. As this forum is only to welcome new members you could try reposting in our Moving Back to the UK Forum but I'm not sure if you will get a response.

BTW please do not press the 'Report Post' tab to send a general message...it is only for reporting posts. Thank you.

Ka Ora! Jun 7th 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by teambrunda (Post 8617826)
Hi Forum the names B. Smith, Basically Ive been traveling back and forth to Europe for the last 10 yrs...on the last 2 yrs of my passport , I overstayed in London...I was only meant to be there for 6 months to visit friends etc, but fell madly in love...I overstayed from Oct 07-April 2010...I plan on asking this woman to marry me. If she visits me in the U.S. I want to marry her here, but if I want to return with her to London, how has overstaying gonna affect me?....Do they even know I overstayed, noone said anything to me leaving U.K. or entering USA. My passport has expired and I've already sent for a new one. I left England voluntarily and with my own funds, how long am I banned?...I really appreciate any help....B. Smith

Welcome to the Forum;)

SalfordSal Jun 7th 2010 10:53 pm

Hey B. I'm too much the newbie to offer any advice, but check out the UK-Yankee website for issues regarding your overstay, or the Transpondia information resource. Google will help you find either.

Over this side of the fence, the USA marriage based visa sub forum is a brilliant source of information. Find out everything you can about a CR-1 visa, it should help to put things into some sort of perspective.

Your girlfriend will need to become a UK Expat to be with you, you will need to become a US Expat to be with her. It sounds like you need knowledge from both sides.

gruffbrown Jun 7th 2010 11:40 pm

You're done for, the maximum penalty over here is being locked in a dungeon and slapped with a wet Haddock several times. Some people pay good money for that, allegedley

willmore Jun 8th 2010 12:59 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 8618191)
You're done for, the maximum penalty over here is being locked in a dungeon and slapped with a wet Haddock several times. Some people pay good money for that, allegedley

Fresh or frozen variety?

TestaRossa Jun 8th 2010 4:02 pm

From the large number of US friends that have done what you want to do but to Italy your first port of call is the UK consul closest to where you live. It is them you will go through the process of emigration with. Good luck!

ozhappy981 Jun 9th 2010 3:52 am

Originally Posted by teambrunda (Post 8617826)
Do they even know I overstayed, noone said anything to me leaving U.K. or entering USA. My passport has expired and I've already sent for a new one. I left England voluntarily and with my own funds, how long am I banned?

The UK authorities don't know that you overstayed in the UK.