Reload this Page >

In over his head graduate dreams of Canada

In over his head graduate dreams of Canada

Old Jan 28th 2012, 8:42 am
Just Joined

AppleJack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In over his head graduate dreams of Canada

Hello.

My name is Jack, I am a 22 year old graduate of Animation. I currently work as an Illustrator and Animator. One year out of University and I have begun to take my long lasting dream of living across the pond seriously. Even though my research into the process has been limited it has definitely been sobering.

Right now I am feeling discouraged knowing that "Animator" is not on theLIST of skilled professions (surprise) and that my potential journey will take years at the least what with the required amount of work experience that the government asks for (and not to mention any experience a Canadian employer would expect) and the amount of time a penniless scruffy haired graduate would need to spend hoarding enough money to even consider buying a plane ticket.

I do not want to feel totally defeated however and I am hoping that perhaps any other likeminded youths or successfully relocated adults in Canada might give me some empathic words of encouragement or direction.

Or perhaps a chewing out for posting an overly verbose post filled with the wrong sorts of questions in the wrong forum.

Here's hoping.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 1:27 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In over his head graduate dreams of Canada

Originally Posted by AppleJack
Hello.

My name is Jack, I am a 22 year old graduate of Animation. I currently work as an Illustrator and Animator. One year out of University and I have begun to take my long lasting dream of living across the pond seriously. Even though my research into the process has been limited it has definitely been sobering.

Right now I am feeling discouraged knowing that "Animator" is not on theLIST of skilled professions (surprise) and that my potential journey will take years at the least what with the required amount of work experience that the government asks for (and not to mention any experience a Canadian employer would expect) and the amount of time a penniless scruffy haired graduate would need to spend hoarding enough money to even consider buying a plane ticket.

I do not want to feel totally defeated however and I am hoping that perhaps any other likeminded youths or successfully relocated adults in Canada might give me some empathic words of encouragement or direction.

Or perhaps a chewing out for posting an overly verbose post filled with the wrong sorts of questions in the wrong forum.

Here's hoping.
Hi Applejack and welcome. Cant really answer any of your questions but perhaps someone will be along soon that can. In the meantime, have you thought about the USA, potentially more jobs in LA?? no idea, just a thought.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

AppleJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dollface, the USA is attractive but I have learnt their immigration process is even more grueling and has less chance of success.

That and the Animation industry in Canada is doing really well for itself so it'd be a great place to work.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:41 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Working Holiday Visa? That seems the obvious solution to me from what you've said, but I'm sure there's a reason you've discounted it.

Come and join us in the Canada forums, and hopefully somebody there can help. Hope to see you there soon.

Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

The Old Parsonage is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Just a thought, have checked out employers in The Maritimes? I know that the Games industry is something that is growing in this area. You might be in demand from employers.

Anthony