Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

On our way to Oz

On our way to Oz

Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:25 am
Just Joined

gruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nice
Default On our way to Oz

Just wanted to say 'Hi'. I am researching a move to Oz. My OH is Australian and we have spent lots of time there, although he has lived in UK for almost 20 years now. It will be a pretty straight forward move for us compared to some, but still lots to research so I have been lurking on the Oz boards!

J
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On our way to Oz

Originally Posted by gruffalo
Just wanted to say 'Hi'. I am researching a move to Oz. My OH is Australian and we have spent lots of time there, although he has lived in UK for almost 20 years now. It will be a pretty straight forward move for us compared to some, but still lots to research so I have been lurking on the Oz boards!

J
Good luck on your probable move to OZ. Wonder which part you are considering going to?
I have recently returned to UK after a decade and a half out there.It can be a little surprising some of the nagging,often quite small issues that come up and make one realise that life can be a rather complicated business at times.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:08 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

J
Welcome to the forum Gruff.......

See you have found the Aus section, Dont forget to check out the Wiki
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

J
Hi Gruffolo,

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your stay with us. Please let us know if you have any site questions. Each forum has a set of moderators that you can find listed in the bottom right corner of the country forum. We've also got a great bunch of Concierges who will be happy to assist you if you get stuck on navigating the site. Plus, we've have a Site Feedback forum which you can post in if you have site questions/feedback or concerns.

Enjoy

Sue
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

J
Hi there gruffalo...I just wanted to say hello and wish you luck with your future move Down Under.

Which part of Australia are you hoping to move to?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

gruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nicegruffalo is just really nice

Well we are undecided between Melbourne, Brisbane or Sunshine Coast. OH is from Melbourne and that is the area we know best and would offer the most options from a work point of view, but we have spent quite a bit of time on Sunshine Coast (Noosa) which we love. I think if we went to Sunshine Coast we would need to be towards the south (Buderim?) as it seems more residential and there seem to be more school options. OH likes the look of Brisbane and despite having a good drive around I can't get the feel for a suburb that feel like home to me.

We have discounted Sydney as too expensive (and DH being a Melburnian has the Sydney prejudice !).

If we can 'get it together' in the next 6 months we will rent out our house in UK and rent something in Aus for a year to see how we get on (DH's job will most likely allow him to work there with no real changes). We are lucky in that our children are at private school in UK which I'm sure we would be able to get them back into at the drop of a hat if we did need to come back.

I feel a bit of a fraud posting as I know it is a big battle for some people to get visa and they really are on a one-way ticket etc!

The Troubador, what sort of issues did you have if you don't mind me asking? I feel like the more I have considered the more prepared I will be.

J
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are undecided between Melbourne, Brisbane or Sunshine Coast. OH is from Melbourne and that is the area we know best and would offer the most options from a work point of view, but we have spent quite a bit of time on Sunshine Coast (Noosa) which we love. I think if we went to Sunshine Coast we would need to be towards the south (Buderim?) as it seems more residential and there seem to be more school options. OH likes the look of Brisbane and despite having a good drive around I can't get the feel for a suburb that feel like home to me.

We have discounted Sydney as too expensive (and DH being a Melburnian has the Sydney prejudice !).

If we can 'get it together' in the next 6 months we will rent out our house in UK and rent something in Aus for a year to see how we get on (DH's job will most likely allow him to work there with no real changes). We are lucky in that our children are at private school in UK which I'm sure we would be able to get them back into at the drop of a hat if we did need to come back.

I feel a bit of a fraud posting as I know it is a big battle for some people to get visa and they really are on a one-way ticket etc!

The Troubador, what sort of issues did you have if you don't mind me asking? I feel like the more I have considered the more prepared I will be.

J
You know I think renting is a really smart idea...then you are keeping your options open. Renting in Aus. will give you time to decide whether that particular part of Aus. is for you...in the meantime you can take a look around to find the neighbourhood that suits your needs best. Renting out your UK home also means that if my some chance you can't settle in Aus. you will have your home to move back to. If you do decide to sell at a later date hopefully the housing market will have picked up and you may get a better price.

Please don't feel like a fraud...we have members who have moved under all sorts of circumstances. If we can help anyone for whatever reason then it's been a good day...afterall that was Sue and Paul's intentions when they established BE 10 years ago.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

J
Welcome to BE gruffalo. I just noticed your post and you wanting to move to Aus. If you need any info on Brisbane just give me a nudge mate. No probs
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

KateandPhil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gruffalo
We arrived on Oz in April. We started south of Brisbane, after research before we left we thought we would be living around the Cleveland area. When we got here we looked around so many areas from the Gold Coast upto the Sunshine Coast. We live in Buderim now and love here. From when we first drove into Buderim we knew it was right for us. My 2 children are at Mountain Creek school which has got a very good reputation especially from people on BE. They love it and have settled in really well. The only down side (if there is one) is work. My oh is a gasfitter/plumber and aside from the licence problems there is little work in that sector. He may be able to get work nearer to Brisbane but its a big commute and I really dont want to leave Buderim now. But we will keep going I'm sure something will come up soon. If you want any more info on this area just give me a shout.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:41 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome from me too I think one of the best mantras before making such a big move is "research, research, research"
Good luck with it all

Dewb09