Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Onwards to Southern USA

Onwards to Southern USA

Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:21 am
Just Joined

TheSmithies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Onwards to Southern USA

Hi all, just to introduce ourselves. My wife and I are right at the beginning of moving our family of two young boys out to Lafayette for a new chapter.

So you’re all in for a treat with all the ridiculously stupid questions we’re going to be asking you all

Thanks

E & L
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Onwards to Southern USA

Lafayette, brilliant. I spent a few years living near New Orleans. Certainly this is going to be a cultural experience for your family.

Certainly an off-the-beaten-path destination for British expats! What takes you there, possibly the university?

I think it's a very underrated part of the country. Get your boys into LSU and the Saints and all will be good . . .
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning and welcome to BE

Destination Louisiana, USA. I live not far from there in the adjoining state of Mississippi but frequent NOLA several times a year for their great venues of entertainment, i.e. Jazz Festival and great restaurants. A complete opposite of life in the UK, I'm sure.

Or is your destination Lafayette County, MS?

As a new member of BE, we ask that you have a read of our site rules linked on the beige header above before posting your many questions in our USA forum found here: USA - British Expats

There are forums for general questions regarding what to do to establish credit, find a home, establish children in school, rent or purchase an auto and what immigration visa is required and how to obtain it.

Look forward to seeing you in the forums.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

TheSmithies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
Lafayette, brilliant. I spent a few years living near New Orleans. Certainly this is going to be a cultural experience for your family.

Certainly an off-the-beaten-path destination for British expats! What takes you there, possibly the university?

I think it's a very underrated part of the country. Get your boys into LSU and the Saints and all will be good . . .
Thanks for replying. Always good hearing from someone local(ish). I work is in oil & gas so that’s what brings us here.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheSmithies
Thanks for replying. Always good hearing from someone local(ish). I work is in oil & gas so that’s what brings us here.
He is far from local. Believe he lives in South America or someplace like that.

Yes, the gas and oil industry is very big locally (Mississippi and LA) with the offshore drilling. Many of our neighbors spend 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off working the rigs in the Gulf.

Keep an open mind and mind your p's and q's and you will be fine. Outside of NOLA, you will find that you are living in the backwoods of the civil war which to many citizens down here is still ongoing.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
He is far from local. Believe he lives in South America or someplace like that.
Correct, I lived around the New Orleans area, but not currently (and, I'm not in South America).

The area is a lot more than just food etc - and New Orleans much more than just a tourist drunk spot. I used to love wandering around the Garden District and taking in the architecture. But that's about two hours from where you will be.

Lafayette is quite pleasant but be mindful that you will need a car, and your spouse will too. You may have some trouble at first understanding the locals (the Cajun accent is quite distinct). Give it time.

Baton Rouge, the state capitol, is an hour away and also a nice spot though without "headline" type sights.

Louisiana's political history is incredibly interesting and colourful - could be some good pre-move reading for you. A guy named Huey Long - aka "The Kingfish" - was a leading figure. Start there!

Good luck.