Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Not yet an Expat but hoping to be

Not yet an Expat but hoping to be

Old Nov 24th 2015, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Not yet an Expat but hoping to be

Currently living in the UK with my Malaysian wife, we're rapidly approaching that time when we can hopefully bin full time work and now the last of our children is busy looking for her own place.

Our plan is to spend at least a few years back in her home town (Penang), she's still a Malaysian citizen so I need to decide on either the spousal visa or MM2H and we need to way up the pros/cons of buying versus long-term rental. The plan would be to catch up with family, do some longer term holidaying in different places but I expect regular trips to UK with children, grand-children etc.

So I expect I'll be looking to see what's been discussed before and asking questions from those who've gone before.

--
Ian
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not yet an Expat but hoping to be

Hello and welcome from Penang And it's a beautiful, clear, warm morning here.

I know quite a few couples where one of the spouses is Malaysian. And some do MM2H and some do the Long Term Social Visit Pass. There's no longer a Spouse Visa as such, as I understand it.

Bluenose1, who did the Long Term Social Visit Pass, did a really good write up on it. You can read here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay...p-ltvp-811701/

If you want to join in with discussions on MM2H, the "retirement visa", then check out this place:
Retirement and MM2H - British Expats

With regular trips back to UK, Penang is handy as there are many flights connecting with both KL and Singapore, then onward flights back to ol' Blighty.

Some retired folks also like Melaka and you have the advantage of a fairly short drive to KLIA. Propertywise, it's more affordable than Penang island.

But depends what suits you.

Anyway, pop over to the Malaysia part of the forum and we'll chat about it.