Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Noobie - Moving to the USA

Noobie - Moving to the USA

Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

AHill is just really niceAHill is just really niceAHill is just really niceAHill is just really niceAHill is just really niceAHill is just really niceAHill is just really niceAHill is just really nice
Default Noobie - Moving to the USA

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself given that I'm probably going to be using this site quite a bit in the future. My name is Alex and I'm planning to emigrate to the USA with my American wife. We got married earlier this year and now going through the motions to get a spouse visa. My interview is on the 2nd November and I'm looking to fly out shortly after that!

I could really do with advice on the following issues, and If anyone could point me in the right direction or answer them here (if that's allowed) then I'd be eternally grateful.

1) Whats the process for getting my SS number? I ticked the box asking for one, but as I understand it, people have had problems getting theirs. Also, I previously worked in America on a J1 visa. I had a SS number then, and while I have a record of the number, I cant find the actual card.

2) Getting a US bank account. Is there any way I can set this up before I leave the UK? Any good suggestions for transferring my money across? Finally, I dont suppose theres any way of drawing money from my pension early given that I'm emigrating?

3) Things I need do before I leave? Who do I need to notify that I'm emigrating? Any advice here would be great!

4) Any tips for shipping as much as possible for as cheap as possible? It will mainly be clothes, but I dont think I'll be getting everything into my checked luggage.

5) What can I expect at my visa interview, and whats the process when I actually get to leave the UK?

6) Anything else I've missed? I'm sure theres loads...

Thanks,
Alex
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noobie - Moving to the USA

Welcome to BE, good luck and congrats!

If you have a look in the main US forum, you'll find most of your questions answered as well as a lot of it in the wiki, that's up top.

1- You've got a SSN, so don't need a new one. Go to any SS office and they should be able to get a new card printed for you.

2- Plenty of threads on this, Chase, HSBC, etc...all depends on where you're moving to as to how useful it might be. Xe.com to transfer money. Pension, no idea, depends on the pension, but again, so many threads on that subject you might be able to find the answer.

3- P-85 for tax refund and to allow you to continue voluntary NIC's as it's a bargin. Postal voter registration, though if you've got family in the UK you trust it's better to set up a proxy. If you've got student loans, to let them know.

4- There's a wiki article on this. Best bet if you don't need stuff quick is to surface mail it, it'll be 8-16 weeks.

5- They ask you for your documents, you show them, they might ask a question or two and that's it. You get visa, wait a couple days to get your passport back and process to leave the UK, well you get on a plane and jobs done. When you arrive, depends on the airport as to which line you go in, show passport with visa and hand over the big envelope and that's it.

Originally Posted by AHill

1) Whats the process for getting my SS number? I ticked the box asking for one, but as I understand it, people have had problems getting theirs. Also, I previously worked in America on a J1 visa. I had a SS number then, and while I have a record of the number, I cant find the actual card.

2) Getting a US bank account. Is there any way I can set this up before I leave the UK? Any good suggestions for transferring my money across? Finally, I dont suppose theres any way of drawing money from my pension early given that I'm emigrating?

3) Things I need do before I leave? Who do I need to notify that I'm emigrating? Any advice here would be great!

4) Any tips for shipping as much as possible for as cheap as possible? It will mainly be clothes, but I dont think I'll be getting everything into my checked luggage.

5) What can I expect at my visa interview, and whats the process when I actually get to leave the UK?

6) Anything else I've missed? I'm sure theres loads...

Thanks,
Alex
Old Oct 15th 2012, 1:22 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alex,

Firstly a belated congrats on your wedding

I see you seem to be finding your wary around the forum ok, and Bob has kindly helped answer some of you queries so you are off to a great start

You will find the USA forums are a wealth of info, because we have great members, like Bob, who are so wonderful at sharing tips and stuff. So dive in, say hi and get to know everyone.

Oh and if you get stuck on anything on the site please do not hesitate to give me a shout.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 2:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary