Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Newbie thinking of moving to mainland Europe

Newbie thinking of moving to mainland Europe

Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Helen B17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie thinking of moving to mainland Europe

Hi everyone, myself and my partner and children aged 2 and 5 are thinking of leaving the UK to try and escape the rat race and greyness. I imagine this is common at this time of year, but we've been thinking of it for a long time! Will be great to read of some of your advice and experiences!
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie thinking of moving to mainland Europe

Originally Posted by Helen B17
Hi everyone, myself and my partner and children aged 2 and 5 are thinking of leaving the UK to try and escape the rat race and greyness. I imagine this is common at this time of year, but we've been thinking of it for a long time! Will be great to read of some of your advice and experiences!
Hi Helen and welcome to BE

Since you have not chosen a place to move to quite yet, you might want to read the posts in the European section to see how others are getting on in their adopted countries.

Before replying to any post, please have a read of the site rules linked on the beige header above. Just a little housekeeping chore to keep BE running nicely.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 6:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie thinking of moving to mainland Europe

Originally Posted by Helen B17
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Do you speak any European languages? What are your lines of work?
If you're considering France, bear in mind that France isn't "partner-friendly" and you'd be considered as two individuals. Advisable to get married before you arrive! (Take a look at all the threads in the Read Me: Moving to France FAQs in the France forum). Healthcare would also be an issue if you haven't got jobs lined up. Unemployment rates are higher than in the UK and you would have to set up a business structure if you work from home.
The good news is that your children are young enough to pick up the language of the country chosen and make friends at school, which would help you the parents to integrate...