Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Newbie move to California

Newbie move to California

Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:18 am
Just Joined

mgirli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie move to California

My husband has agreed to work for Apple in California. He has just this second been granted an 01 visa. We are both so terribly excited and petrified at the same time.
I have two children 9 & 14, not sure about schools or how they will fit in - new environment, new everything.
I have worked all my adult life, I'm terribly worried once the children are settled into a routine - there's nothing for me to do. I don't think I can earn a salary in any capacity. The children and I will be on 03 visa's for studying only.

I'm 43 years old settled and happy in the UK, obviously not foolish enough to walk away from such a fabulous opportunity. Any advise on settling in, and maybe pointers on how to keep busy without a day to day job would be a godsend.

I very much look forward to hearing from you
Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie move to California

Hi and welcome to the forum

Sounds like a fab opportunity. Lots of things to plan but don't panic....I'm sure you'll find plenty of things to do there and new friends to make.

Talking of new friends, do pop over to the USA section of the forum. You'll find a lot of helpful folk in there to answer any questions, and I imagine you'll meet some new friends in California as well.

All the best with the move
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was 43 when I moved and have to say it wasn't easy. Post in the US section and you'll get some support and tips from people in that area of the state.

Good luck!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:48 am
Just Joined

How was the move difficult? You're scaring me!
I'd rather be prepared though, so any nuggets of advice would be amazing.
Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:51 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mgirli
Thanks.
Some expats are happy with the move, some not so. She is of the later.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:18 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

It's very easy to assume that because Brits and American's have similar ethnic make-up and speak the same language (sort of) that the cultures are the same too.

Be prepared for differences. You'll be just fine. Depending on where in California you are, you'll get a different experience (California is longer than the UK, so where you live could be like the difference between living in Aberdeen or Bristol!)
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Didn't mean to scare you, it's just that age can make it a little more difficult I think. We'll try to guide you.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

I'm here!
Got here 'SF' last Thursday.
I'm feeling sad and a bit lost.......
Going to ring up schools this morning, hopefully there will be places available.
Apparently I have to re-take my driving test. Ugh!!! I hated doing it first time around in the UK.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm here!
Going to ring up schools this morning, hopefully there will be places available.
Apparently I have to re-take my driving test. Ugh!!! I hated doing it first time around in the UK.
Welcome!

It all feels weird to start with. You'll get there.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:49 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here!
Do the test at Corte Madera DMV.

You will need you SS# first.

The DMV website is the place to head - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm
There will be a theory and a practical. You can practice the theory online.
Tip for the practical - know your arm signals - yes, not taking the piss, you will be asked to show your arm signals (left, right, stop).
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:47 am
Just Joined

The weather here is crazy, freezing in the morning - warm early afternoon and cold again in the evenings. I'm never sure what to wear!
The supermarkets have too much variety, massive portions - I'm going to get as big as a house if I don't calm down the eating.
Nothing feels real, I keep thinking I'm off home to the UK in a week or two.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nothing feels real, I keep thinking I'm off home to the UK in a week or two.
Yeah that's not good. I'm still like that 9 years in.

Loads of people do adapt and love it here though.