British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Newbee saying Hello - Looking to move to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/newbee-saying-hello-looking-move-canada-774579/)

Wolfman1 Oct 14th 2012 1:05 pm

Newbee saying Hello - Looking to move to Canada

Hi there everyone,
My Wife and I have just had our first ever holiday away from the UK (first in our 46 years of life) to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. We stayed with expat friends in Calgary (they immigrated 9 years ago)
We have fallen in love with Canada and just want to move there now! we do not want to grow old in the UK. We have a (nearly) 21 year old daughter just about to start her final year in her degree in Zoology. She wants to come with us (possibly with her boyfriend) also starting his final year of his Law degree.
At present my Wife and I have our own professional dog walking/cat feeding/pet sitting business/. I am a car mechanic/body fitter by trade.
We need to stay in the UK until our daughter has finished her final year of further education and then we can come when we are ready.
We intend to have a winter hol in Oct/Nov/Dec 2013 in Calgary so we have experienced the cold weather.
We have 8 dogs which we intend to bring (altho we may lose a couple by means of natural wastage before then)
We would probably prefer acarage but are open to any suggestions on areas to live around Calgary.
We would like to stay working with animals but I am happy to go back to the mechanic/body fitter side of things to gain acceptance into Canada.
we would welcome any advice in any area of immigration.
THankyou for having us on this forum.
regards Melanie and Mike

christmasoompa Oct 14th 2012 7:25 pm

Re: Newbee saying Hello

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Wolfman1 (Post 10330230)
My Wife and I have just had our first ever holiday away from the UK (first in our 46 years of life) to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary.

Congrats!

We have fallen in love with Canada and just want to move there now! we do not want to grow old in the UK.

Out of interest, can I ask why? A lot of British Expats don't wish to grow old in Canada, and move back to the UK to escape the brutal winters and to have the security of the NHS!

We have a (nearly) 21 year old daughter just about to start her final year in her degree in Zoology. She wants to come with us (possibly with her boyfriend) also starting his final year of his Law degree.

OK, so at age 21, she could go on your visa application as long as she's not living with her boyfriend. To be considered a 'dependent child' she must be under age 22 when you apply for PR, but it's worth noting that although age is 'locked in' at the time of application (so even if it takes 3 years to get PR, she'd still be able to go with you), dependency is not. That means that she must be dependent still when you get your visas granted (so cannot live with her boyfriend or on her own) if she wants to go with you on your application.

Her boyfriend would have no option but to get his own visa on his own merits I'm afraid.

We have 8 dogs which we intend to bring (altho we may lose a couple by means of natural wastage before then)

Ouch. That'll be quite a dent in the bank balance! :lol:

we would welcome any advice in any area of immigration.

I can't see any obvious visa route for you, from what you've said one of you would need to get a job offer to be able to get a visa. Do keep an eye on the CIC website though, as lots of changes are coming in January so you may find you're eligible after the changes have been announced. But have a look at the Wiki, which has loads of info on visas as well as job hunting info, and hopefully that will help.

Then pop over to the Canada forum where you can ask any questions you've got once you've had a good read of the Wiki.

Best of luck.

:)

Sue Oct 15th 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Newbee saying Hello - Looking to move to Canada

Hi Wolfman,

Welcome to BE :)

Wolfman1 Oct 15th 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Newbee saying Hello

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10330655)
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Congrats!

Out of interest, can I ask why? A lot of British Expats don't wish to grow old in Canada, and move back to the UK to escape the brutal winters and to have the security of the NHS!

OK, so at age 21, she could go on your visa application as long as she's not living with her boyfriend. To be considered a 'dependent child' she must be under age 22 when you apply for PR, but it's worth noting that although age is 'locked in' at the time of application (so even if it takes 3 years to get PR, she'd still be able to go with you), dependency is not. That means that she must be dependent still when you get your visas granted (so cannot live with her boyfriend or on her own) if she wants to go with you on your application.

Her boyfriend would have no option but to get his own visa on his own merits I'm afraid.

Ouch. That'll be quite a dent in the bank balance! :lol:

I can't see any obvious visa route for you, from what you've said one of you would need to get a job offer to be able to get a visa. Do keep an eye on the CIC website though, as lots of changes are coming in January so you may find you're eligible after the changes have been announced. But have a look at the Wiki, which has loads of info on visas as well as job hunting info, and hopefully that will help.

Then pop over to the Canada forum where you can ask any questions you've got once you've had a good read of the Wiki.

Best of luck.

:)

Basically England has nothing to offer any more and by the time we are of the age to draw our pension there will be no pensions left from the government for us anyway. ANd the way the NHS is going down the pan that will be the same too, and they treat the elderly disgracefully now it will only get worse. I speak from first hand experience with my dear old dad that was having cancer treatment, he was 82 years old, and it was 10% successful, but they refused him any more treatment even tho he begged them for more. Consequently we lost him. Also we feel that our daughter will have much better job prospects with her zoology degree in Canada.

Ok thanks for the info on our daughter still being classed as a dependent. SHe does still live at home (altho is away a few months at a time finishing her degree at University) I guess we need to do some sort of application before Dec 2013 ( this is when she will be 22)

I know but love us love our dogs, wont be going anywhere without what ever is left, some are very old and quite infirm. ACtually one is only 5 years old and has just had 2 strokes in the space of 4 days one on either side of her brain!!!

We are going to a job expo in London next month so will ask more questions then. My husband was initially thinking of FSW programme but that's on hold for now or may be a temporary work visa. He is in touch with a couple of garages and hot rod shops in Calgary now.

Every piece of advice is grately appreciated.

Rosemary Oct 18th 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Newbee saying Hello - Looking to move to Canada

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary