Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Choices

New Zealand Choices

Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

iceworks57 is a jewel in the roughiceworks57 is a jewel in the roughiceworks57 is a jewel in the roughiceworks57 is a jewel in the rough
Smile New Zealand Choices

Have just recieved job offer for NZ and now its crunch time.
The UK house is bought and paid for, my wife has three years to go before she retires and I have another 12 to go.
The idea of moving to ZN has always appealled to us for the additional space, less people per mile and of course the scenery.
The job offer is as a construction PM aroundthe Christchurch rebuild area, which is where the concern comes in.
Not overtly worried about the actual earthquake issue [if its you time then so be it] more concerned with property prices standards and availability, and what the situation of rebuilding the areas really is.
The NZ government puts a really good glossy shine on living in NZ, what I'd like to know before making such a life changing leap at our time of life is -- whats life really like in NZ, warts and all.
Can any one help with an honest none rose tinted view.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Choices

Originally Posted by iceworks57
The UK house is bought and paid for, my wife has three years to go before she retires and I have another 12 to go.
The idea of moving to ZN has always appealled to us for the additional space, less people per mile and of course the scenery.
The job offer is as a construction PM aroundthe Christchurch rebuild area, which is where the concern comes in.
Not overtly worried about the actual earthquake issue [if its you time then so be it] more concerned with property prices standards and availability, and what the situation of rebuilding the areas really is.
The NZ government puts a really good glossy shine on living in NZ, what I'd like to know before making such a life changing leap at our time of life is -- whats life really like in NZ, warts and all.
Hello and welcome to BE.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions about New Zealand because I live in the US. However we have a couple of excellent New Zealand Forums...many of the people who post in there live in the Christchurch area. Why don't you pop over there and take a look around...the people who post in there will help answer your questions about NZ?

We have a team of concierges who act as tour guides to help new members find their way around the many BE forums. The concierges for the NZ forum is Vitalstatistix and Kija.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator or admin. The mods for the NZ forums are Bevs and Am Loolah.

Please give me a shout is you need any more help. Good luck.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:09 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iceworks

Welcome to BE.
I would definitely second Jerseygirls advice to pop on over o the New Zealan forum and ask your question. There are a fair number of expats in NZ so I am sure many of them will be only too happy to reply and give you a realistic account of what you can expect if you move there.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum and good luck with whatever you decide to do

Dread - x
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:10 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi iceworks57 ,

Welcome to BE.

You are going to love our NZ forum, the members who post in there are so great at sharing tips and stuff. So go dive on in and say hi
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:27 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome,

I see you've already been well set up for useful links and helpful contacts ... and we certainly have a large number from Oz & NZ here with whom you can network.

And so I'll simply bid you greetings from Ontario, Canada.

With every good wish,
Christian
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

whats life really like in NZ, warts and all.
OOoooooooo. What are you asking. Come on down

Plenty of folk in the NZ forum ready and willing to answer such a question.

BEVS
New Zealand