British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   In New Zealand again Sigh! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/new-zealand-again-sigh-820394/)

Wossnext Jan 5th 2014 4:53 am

In New Zealand again Sigh!

Hi All,

Found some stuff on this site that made me nod my head a lot and keep saying yep that's exactly how I feel and so on and so on. So I joined. I will have a good moan now if I may and get it off my chest.

Ok so my wife and I are professional nomads (skint ones now). I left UK in 99' lived and worked in DC USA for 5 years, then moved to Wellington NZ for the next 5 yrs, took a long holiday in SE Asia, met my wife there came back to NZ for 2 more years, got a job in Thailand and moved there for 2 yrs Mum got sick so we moved back to UK, got bored after 20 months and moved to Brisbane AU where we could not find work for 5 months (money almost gone!) so moved back to Auckland NZ, been here 12 months now..........yep you got it! obviously did not learn our lesson the first time so end of year going back to UK!! NZ was not good last time I was here, now it is noticeably worse.

The UK has its issues no doubt but it beats the pants off NZ for cost of living, I hear AU pays well but to get that good pay you must first find a job, and that is not easy to do. Yes I do have current skills and a decent education but after 50 applications got nothing!

Plenty more to say but hey this was only supposed to be an intro right? oops!

bakedbean Jan 5th 2014 5:03 am

Re: In New Zealand again Sigh!

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Gosh, you're having a right royal moan :D but that's OK. We all do sometimes.

Best bet for you is to check out the Moving Back to the UK section of this forum. You'll find many people in the same boat as yourselves and plenty of others who are doing or have done the move back. I think you should be able to find the section from the main menu, but, if you cannot, just shout, and someone will help you.

Hope everything works out for you (finally).

Wossnext Jan 5th 2014 5:14 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11063415)
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Gosh, you're having a right royal moan :D but that's OK. We all do sometimes.

Best bet for you is to check out the Moving Back to the UK section of this forum. You'll find many people in the same boat as yourselves and plenty of others who are doing or have done the move back. I think you should be able to find the section from the main menu, but, if you cannot, just shout, and someone will help you.

Hope everything works out for you (finally).

Haha! yeh I know that was a good moan thanks for indulging me. As for advice on moving back ha! I am a professional country mover mate, and know all there is to know about Immigration policy and shipping, it's just the financial side I need help with:D

sammyseal1 Jan 7th 2014 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Wossnext (Post 11063423)
Haha! yeh I know that was a good moan thanks for indulging me. As for advice on moving back ha! I am a professional country mover mate, and know all there is to know about Immigration policy and shipping, it's just the financial side I need help with:D

Oh dear - I am about to move to Auckland and this has done nothing to reassure me! Eek! Is this a general feeling, or have you just had an exceptionally bad experience?

MrsFychan Jan 7th 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by sammyseal1 (Post 11067601)
Oh dear - I am about to move to Auckland and this has done nothing to reassure me! Eek! Is this a general feeling, or have you just had an exceptionally bad experience?

its horses for courses - some love it, some hate it, some just put up with it and some just live it.

Auckland is expensive but then the whole of NZ is compared to other countries in a lot of things but then it is so far away from everywhere else things cost that much more to get into the country so the cost is carried through to the consumer. or in most cases companies just won't deal with NZ so the ones that do use that to their advantage with again added cost to the consumer. Home grown stuff isn't always cheaper either.
Government is the same as everywhere some will moan about them and some will praise them.

You just need to remember you will have to do all the same boring stuff you would have to do anywhere you lived its just done differently here than the UK and depending on where you are coming from and going to the scenery is prettier.

Rosemary Jan 11th 2014 7:12 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary