Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New to srilanka

New to srilanka

Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

plymouthchick has a brilliant futureplymouthchick has a brilliant futureplymouthchick has a brilliant futureplymouthchick has a brilliant futureplymouthchick has a brilliant futureplymouthchick has a brilliant future
Thumbs up New to srilanka

hey guys!

moved here bout month and half ago.Live in India for 7 years.

Would like to meet people between ages of 20 and 40 who are new here.

Please get back to me
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to srilanka

Hi and welcome to BE,

I'm not sure if we have any members in your part of the world, but if you post in our Rest of the World forum I'm sure someone may surface.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plymouthchick
hey guys!

Please get back to me

Hi there and welcome to BE.

Unfortunately we do not have a forum for Sri Lanka...but I think the Goa forum maybe of interest to you. Why don't you pop over there, take a look around and join in?

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. The concierge for the Goa forum is Dreadsoc...she will help you if you feel a little lost.

Problems and complaints should be addressed to a moderator. The mod for the Goa forum is Noni.

Please shout out if you need any further help. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:34 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Plymouthchick

Welcome to BE - no need to ask where you are originally from eh?

As we don't have a forum especially for Sri Lanka, and you have lived in India for a few years, you may enjoy the Goa forum, and I am sure you will have plenty to contribute from your experiences in India. I guess geographically it is the nearest one to you, and some of our members are very familiar with Sri Lanka (I think a few have even moved there since the Goan property debacle).
There are some threads on that forum about Sri Lanka, and a thread on travelling in India.
You will find the Goa forum by either clicking on the link in bold blue in Jerseygirl's above post, or go to the forum index page and scroll down to the title 'Rest of the World' - double click on 'Goa' and you're in.

Noni is the moderator - she is great fun and the instigator of many jokes on the laughter thread. I am the concierge so my job is to ensure you find your way in OK, and to help if you need it.

Hope I will see you over there very soon, and all the best luck in settling into your new home

Dread - x
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:13 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plymouthchick
hey guys!

Please get back to me
Hello plymouthchick,

Was no stranger to Devon myself, though from Southampton originally ... always wanted to get a place on the south coast in Devon. India alone sounds fascinating, Sri Lanka all the more so. I think it used to be called ‘The pearl of the Indian Ocean’ ... although it used to be called ‘Ceylon’ come to that as well.

I should like to hear of some of your experiences there myself. Pity there's no official Sri Lankan forum, but no doubt you'll hook up with a few soon enough. I see the gang at B.E. pretty much has you kitted out, and so that just leaves me to say: Greetings from Ontario, Canada!

With every good wish,
Christian
Old Sep 26th 2011, 2:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, welcome to BE. Agree with the others, Goa forum probably your best bet. Sri Lanka has gone through a lot of changes I hear, and for the better. Good retirement visa too I believe, though you're probably a wee bit too young for that. And the curries Enjoy.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

Hi All.

We lived in Goa for over 3 years, left due to silly visa rules.

Been to SL quite a few times and we thought it was OK, but what is it like living in SL full time.

Very interested in the new My Dream Home Visa Programme. Looks good.

Any one on the forums living in Sri Lanka.

Thanks.

Willb
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willb
Hi All.

Been to SL quite a few times and we thought it was OK, but what is it like living in SL full time.

Thanks.

Willb
The Far East Forums is the best forum to ask your questions.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi All.

Thanks.

Willb
I think the Far East Forums is the best forum to ask questions about Sri Lanka.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:44 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All.

Thanks.

Willb
Hi Willb,

You can actually find a few threads re Sri Lanka (including a Sticky re My Dream Home Visa) under the India section here

Yeh I know that's a bit Irish.... and should probably be in Far East main section but came about when India forum was lumped into Rest of the World, and Sri Lanka is close to India. Well I think that was the logic at the time