Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New round here

New round here

Old May 29th 2017, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

In_love_and_stuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New round here

Hi everyone I'm new here, I came across this place when I was looking online for ways in which I can move to America to be with my partner who is a US citizen. We have been together a year I recently flew back from spending a week there with him. I have two daughters and in November we will all be flying over for thanks giving, but I want to know is there any way I can stay there with him?
Old May 29th 2017, 7:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New round here

Hi IL&S, welcome to BE.

From the little you have said, I believe the best place to post your question will be here, but you may not like the answer, even though what you want to do is really fairly easy. Do be aware that you will need the approval of your daughters' father even if you have "sole custody" or has been absent for years - you may need the advice or services of a solicitor on that point.

Also please take a moment to review the site rules in the tab at the far right of the yellowish menu bar at the top of the page.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 29th 2017 at 7:56 pm.
Old May 29th 2017, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Sounds like you've got the relatively easy route of a marriage based visa, although that won't happen by November (8-10 months is the processing time I believe). If you post in our marriage based visa sub forum, you'll get some great info on the process - Marriage Based Visas - British Expats

It would also be worth asking about the process of removing your children from UK jurisdiction, to ensure you do that correctly.

HTH and best of luck.
Old May 29th 2017, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hi IL&S, welcome to BE.

From the little you have said, I believe the best place to post your question will be here, but you may not like the answer, even though what you want to do is really fairly easy. Do be aware that you will need the approval of your daughters' father even if you have "sole custody" or has been absent for years - you may need the advice or services of a solicitor on that point.

Also please take a moment to review the site rule in the tab at the far right of the yellowish menu bar at the top of the page.

Sorry I didn't read any rules first.
Old May 29th 2017, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Sounds like you've got the relatively easy route of a marriage based visa, although that won't happen by November (8-10 months is the processing time I believe). If you post in our marriage based visa sub forum, you'll get some great info on the process - Marriage Based Visas - British Expats

It would also be worth asking about the process of removing your children from UK jurisdiction, to ensure you do that correctly.

HTH and best of luck.

Hi it really isn't that simple my partner is finding it hard to get his estranged wife to sign the papers so he isn't legally eligible to marry me. My daughter father has given his permission for me to leave with the children so long as I send them back to him for a few weeks a year. It was all going really well until I got lost on the whole visa one. I was told to just apply for a change from the waiver once I arrive but that seems like I'd feel like a criminal.
Old May 29th 2017, 7:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In_love_and_stuck
... I was told to just apply for a change from the waiver once I arrive but that seems like I'd feel like a criminal.
It is more or less, or at very least a potentially risky bad idea, but in any case it is critically dependent on you either being married or being able to get married within 90 days of arriving in the US.

In other words if your "dearly beloved" can't get married then you have a problem that must be resolved before you can move forwards even through the two "totally legit and above board" routes (the K-1 fiancée visa and the CR-1 marriage visa).

Last edited by Pulaski; May 29th 2017 at 8:01 pm.
Old May 29th 2017, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see. You can't apply for any adjustment of status then anyway from what you've said - you'd need to be married to have a basis to do that, even if it was legal.

But post in the marriage based visas forum and you'll get some great advice. If you've not got any way to get a visa based on your relationship then have a look here to see if any other visa route would suit - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

And it might be worth looking at visas for the UK, in case he's able to move to the UK more easily. We have a forum for that too - Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats

HTH, best of luck.
Old May 29th 2017, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

It is more or less, or at very least a potentially risky bad idea, but in any case it is critically dependent on you either being married or being able to get married within 90 days of arriving in the US.

In other words if your "dearly beloved" can't get married then you have a problem that must be resolved before you can move forwards even through the two "totally legit and above board" routes (the K-1 fiancée visa and the CR-1 marriage visa).

So there's nothing I can do until I can marry him? How much are the visas you mentioned?
Old May 29th 2017, 8:11 pm

So there's nothing I can do until I can marry him? How much are the visas you mentioned?
As I said above, that would be a question best asked in the forum that I, and Christmasoompa, provided above, but I believe you'll be looking at around $2,500 with all medical and processing fees included.
Old May 29th 2017, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

As I said above, that would be a question best asked in the forum that I, and Christmasoompa, provided above, but I believe you'll be looking at around $2,500 with all medical and processing fees included.

Is that per person???
Old May 29th 2017, 8:39 pm

Is that per person???
Honestly I don't know - when I applied it was just for me, no children, so please post this and any other questions you have over in the US marriage and fiance visa forum.
Old May 29th 2017, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has a current thread in the US Marriage Visas forum.

Thread closed.