British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   New Noob! Hello. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/new-noob-hello-923827/)

HalfLimeyHalfWop Apr 3rd 2019 4:43 pm

New Noob! Hello.

Hi, so this is my second tangible step in making the move to leave home, and already I'm terrified of the prospect!

Is that a good thing do you reckon?:thumbup:

Discussions are still on-going as regards final destination but it's looking increasingly likely to be southern Italy.

Looking forward to drilling down into your collective experiences and advice. Which will either increase the doubts or assuage them, either way.... Hello!

HalfLimey.

Pulaski Apr 3rd 2019 4:55 pm

Re: New Noob! Hello.

Hi HLHW, welcome to BE. :)

You will probably want to focus your attention over in the Italian forum area of BE as I am sure that the members active there will be happy to share their advice and experience of moving to, and life in Italy.

Please also take a moment to review the site rules linked in the top row menu bar above.

HalfLimeyHalfWop Apr 3rd 2019 5:05 pm

Hi Pulaski, so in short, I must not be a rude, obnoxious, ignorant, aggressive, sexually explicit Troll?

Well that's no fun at all is it! ;)

:drinkingwine:

Pulaski Apr 3rd 2019 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by HalfLimeyHalfWop (Post 12665516)
Hi Pulaski, so in short, I must not be a rude, obnoxious, ignorant, aggressive, sexually explicit Troll?

Well that's no fun at all is it! ;) ….

You are correct, but your "Limey side" might appreciate the fun to be had in sarcasm, facetiousness, and double entendres. :sneaky:

Joking aside, the mods all do sterling work to keep us in line and the atmosphere light-hearted, friendly, and helpful. :nod:

Rete Apr 3rd 2019 9:23 pm

Thank you, Mr. Pulaski, for doing my job :thumbsup:

Sir, just to let you know that not all members are British. Some like myself are American and we have Asian and Canadian members as well.

I tell you this because in the US the term Wop is considered derogatory and yes, not politically correct. BE does not wish to limit your fun and games and if you like strong political debates, slinging matches, etc., the forum for you to participate in would be Take It Outside.

Please read the forum rules and I hope you find the answers you seek in the Italian forum.

Rete

Pulaski Apr 3rd 2019 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12665680)
Thank you, Mr. Pulaski, for doing my job :thumbsup: ….

You're slacking, so I had to fill in for you. :)

…. Sir, just to let you know that not all members are British. Some like myself are American and we have Asian and Canadian members as well.

I tell you this because in the US the term Wop is considered derogatory and yes, not politically correct. BE does not wish to limit your fun and games and if you like strong political debates, slinging matches, etc., the forum for you to participate in would be Take It Outside. ….
I think his use of "wop" falls under the "gangsta rap exemption" where a member of a racial or national minority can self-describe using an otherwise derogatory term. …. In the UK "wop" is most commonly understood to be a slang term for an Italian.

….Please read the forum rules ….
I think he has already, see post #3. :nod:

HalfLimeyHalfWop Apr 4th 2019 9:15 am

Hi Rete,
ok fair enough I'll see if I can change my username, if not I'll rejoin the site anew.
Apologies, no offence intended.

Rete Apr 4th 2019 3:07 pm

No need to change your nick and no, I was not offended. I just wanted you to know that in the US, where everyone is overly politically correct to the point that you fear opening your mouth or touching anyone, that WOP is considered a no-no just as the N word.

I grew up with that word and my Italian friends were never offended by its usage in the normal friendly dialogue. It was offensive only when it was said by someone who clearly meant for it to be an insult.