Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

new and need advice

new and need advice

Old Nov 10th 2012, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

britchick79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new and need advice

Hello i would firstly like to start by introducing myself to the forums , after spending many pain staking hours trying to get the advice i need i finally found this and am hoping i can get some accurate pointers , if this post is in the wrong place my apologies ,new to site.

Ok the deal is this, i am british and all of my immediate family plus myself are born in the UK , and i have an american boyfriend , like most these days more and more things is done online hence how we met . Now the situation is this , he and i are wanting him to come visit me in the UK early next year 2013, i have my own place so he will be a guest in my home however we would like a chance to spend some long quality time together, due to what i have researched he can come on a visit which is up to 6 months but must A, have proof he can support himself without help from public funds and B return ticket to go home etc , now we thought about that but he not wanting to sit about for 6 months if he got that time frame and if everything went wonderfully he would have to go back to the states, where we would be back to square one with sponsorships again for work. We also wondererd why isnt there anything now where he can come visit and work or look for work , our relantionship is genuine and loving but to get a work permit he needs a high skill which he dont have , he has lot of working skills though and highschool qualifications, we have been contacting international companies to see if they would sponsor him for his work permit /visa so that way he can work and secondly spend time with our relantionship, i have contacted lawyer firms but i find i am feeling that i am hitting my head against a wall. I cannot sponsor him as i work part time and am on tax credits , and we cannot do the spouse route as we haven't lived together for 2 years well how we ever going to get that if we cannot get a chance to even try to be live together . In an ideal world it would be great for him to get a year work contract so he can support the rest of his stay in the Uk while we concentrate on US but it looks like that is impossible?

Advice please, and thanks for reading
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new and need advice

As you say, unless he can get a work visa - and without skills, degree etc this is highly unlikely - or he can get a visa via you - spouse/unmarried partner - he is pretty much only able to come for 6 months to visit.

There is no visa for living together and 'trying it out'.

Have you thought about moving to the States via a spouse visa?

Just re-read your post - have you even met yet?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

britchick79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply , yes we have met , long holidays etc lasting a month or so, i suppose we just find it so hard to not be able to see one another on a more consistant basis , that is why we was hoping we could get him here on a longer term visa .
With regards to me going to the states in all honesty i havnt really thought of that, what with my own home and children schools etc we decided the UK was the best option for us, so my question is.
Has the US spouse visa got different requirements?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to UK requirements: US citizen has to prove they can sponsor (support) non US prospective spouse and visa process takes about 6 to 8 months.

The financial requirements are not as onerous.

The non US prospective spouse can only visit the US during the period.

If you have children they too would need a visa to move to the US.

Read here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD
Old Nov 11th 2012, 5:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary