Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

new member introduction - Banks and moving back to the UK

new member introduction - Banks and moving back to the UK

Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:05 am
Just Joined

taff lewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new member introduction - Banks and moving back to the UK

Good evening everybody. I have just joined british expats, I am currently in Suriname , South America, have been here living and working since late 2008.
originally from North Wales. Thinking about going back to UK for the first time this year.
Had a few problems when I first came out caused by having my bank accounts closed in the UK, I still don't have a solution to that problem. If I had to advice others about moving abroad to a " remote country" then for sure it would be to ensure your banks in order in the UK before you leave.
If anybody has any advice on how to overcome this problem I would love to hear from you.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:19 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new member introduction

Hi Taff Lewis,

Welcome to BE. Sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with the bank accounts, that kind of thing can make life difficult when you're planning a move back. However, I am sure that there are members who can point you in the right direction to get advice on this. If you havent already done so, make your way over to the 'Returning to the UK' section and introduce yourself.
Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Cheers
Ajw
Old Jun 11th 2012, 5:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:10 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Taff and to the forum. That's a bit strange with your bank accounts being closed, isn't it. As Rosemary said, do check out the Moving back to the UK forum - lots of info and friendly folks in there to guide you. All the best.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

taff lewis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to all that offered help and advice, as of tomorrow I am going to USA for a vacation and will resume dealing with the accounts issue when I return to Suriname. For your information , the official letters I received telling me about the account closures said that it was "government policy" to avoid income tax scams. But my investigations since then indicate that it is up to the individual banks. So thanks Barclays after being a customer for over 40 years and thanks also to the Alliance and so much for customer loyalty
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:25 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's bad isn't it... and a load of old tosh too. Mr bakedbean has a Barclays account still in the UK, still open and functioning, and they know he is in foreign parts. Ah well, enjoy your hols.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new member introduction - Banks and moving back to the UK

Hi Taff,

Welcome to BE. Check out our Moving back to the UK forum as this topic comes up quite a lot. If you can see any threads on the first page try the search function. It's pretty good at pulling up threads.

Anyway I hope you will stick around and enjoy being part of our community.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Solonge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new member introduction - Banks and moving back to the UK

Can see there could be problems...we moved to France...but have kept our account in the UK active..having money paid in and transferring to here..so no problems. Our kids..live in Dubai...and use our flat in the Uk as their UK address and we get friends to forward letters from their banks to them...all very complicated...but it works for us. You need to let your bank know when you are moving...we just said we would be back at some point...and as we have property in the Uk...wasnt a problem..we have bills to pay for the flat. Our kids accounts are all ok too..they do mainly online banking for the UK banks. Guess you have to start again..would suggest you make an appt with your old bank and go have a chat...good luck.