British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   New Member Intro (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/new-member-intro-921860/)

PompeyButch Feb 7th 2019 5:11 pm

New Member Intro

Hi Folks and Thank You for providing such a great forum full of experience, help, information and support!

Long time Expat living in the US....31 years.....currently living in Arizona, but I've lived in NY, KY, NC and CA.
Originally from the south of England, worked in the printing industry for nearly 40 years.
Married to my darling USA born wife, several kids and grandchildren between us, some would call it a tribe!!
Still a UK citizen,

I have several things going on right now, without being to specific in this forum, but a quick list includes
Trying to figure out UK State Pension and making up NI contributions from missed years......ARGH!
Tinkering with the idea of moving back to the UK, not even sure if my wife can automatically move back with me legally immigration status wise, if we were to go.
Working on why I keep getting referred to secondary immigration checks when I return from holidays back home, its happened the last 4 times....most annoying and frustrating.

So any directions to specific forums and threads would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.......PompeyButch

Pulaski Feb 7th 2019 5:58 pm

Re: New Member Intro

Hi Pompey Butch, welcome to BE! :)

There is currently an active thread here on British state pensions and NI contributions.

If you were to move back to the UK your wife would need a visa, which has some fairly serious income and/or asset requirements, but there are many threads here in the Spouse and Family Visas forum, or you can start your own thread to ask any questions you have.

And of course you are still British, it is actually quite difficult to lose your British citizenship even if you wanted to, but given that you appear to have significant family in the US I would recommend that you seriously consider becoming a US citizen to give yourself the permanent right to live in and/or return to the US at any time. … You would be a dual citizen as many of us on the US forum are, including me. :)

You may be unfortunate enough to have a name similar to someone on the US immigration watch list, but becoming a US citizen should greatly reduce the likelihood of you being sent to secondary inspection on returning to the US.

Otherwise please come over here to the Trailer Park to discuss all manner of topics linked to Britain and/or life in the US. :)

BTW please take a moment to review the Site Rules linked in the top row above, to the right of "Forums" and "New Posts".

PompeyButch Feb 7th 2019 8:11 pm

Re: New Member Intro

Hi Pulaski, Many thanks for the detailed response and welcome

I did review the rules and FAQ's, hopefully I didn't miss anything that would have compromised any rules in my original post, if so please by all means let me know.

Again, thanks for the links and detailed info you already helped me with.

Butch