Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Sianw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Member

Hello All,

I've joined the forum today in hope of gaining useful knowledge for moving to Canada.

My husband is a truck driver, we have been to a couple of emigration expo's in the UK already and have spoken to a immigration company. The problem is.....i like to know exactly what i'm getting into and unfortunately found out today a transport company who painted themselves whiter than white when we met them ( in the UK ) have actually been in court over immigration laws......not a good start.

Any helpful tips/info/advice from other truck drivers....or anyone that just wants to say Hello would be nice!

Sian
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member

to BE.

You could try posting in our Trucking Forum the people who post in that forum may be able to help you.

I see christmasoompa has given you the link to our Canada forums. The people who post in there will do their best to help you with any questions you may have about moving to Canada.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 10th 2012 at 6:19 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sian, and welcome to BE.

I'm a mod for the Canada forums, but currently back in the UK and very close to you - nr Wokingham.

There is a trucking forum that would be well worth a look, and if you are going over on a Temp Work Permit you'll want to make sure that you have a route to PR (not all provinces will allow you to apply for PR), so check out the immigration section of the Canada forum as well. Another thing to check is whether or not you can work if you want to - again, not all provinces will allow the spouse of a truck driver to work, so if you want to that may influence where you go.

Loads of info in the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) including this article which would be worth a read - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

Best of luck with it all, and hope to see you in the Canada forum sometime.

Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:40 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sian

I see the other mods and cons have given you links to the Canada forum and our truckers forum where you can find out everything you need to know about moving to Canada and working as a trucker there.

That just leaves me to say welcome to BE and all the very best with your plans. Don't worry it all seems a bit daunting at the moment but by the time you have got chatting and asking questions of other expats on the forums it will seem much clearer and easier.

Dread - x
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary