Reload this Page >

New to BE - living in Manitoba for 5 months

New to BE - living in Manitoba for 5 months

Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

KJCMedora2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to BE - living in Manitoba for 5 months

Hi all,
I have been reading BE for quite some time now as my OH is GC44 and I have posted now and then on his account but decided it was time for me to register myself.
We came out to Manitoba at the end of August, my OH is on a TWP and we are applying for PNP 1st March so when that is approved I should be able to get an OWP for myself. I have had 5 months of unemployment - the longest time I have EVER been unemployed but have been keeping busy renovating the house and getting to know the locals.
So far, although it has only been 5 months, we all (my OH, 12 year old daughter and myself (oh and the dog!), love it here. We are living in a 'town' with a population of approximately 30 people and the nearest shop is 15 miles away but we have adapted without any problems.
Yes, Canada is different to the UK but we are all willing to accept that and go with it.
Our daughter has settled amazingly well and we have found out that she is very talented at skiing and figure skating - something that she would not have even attempted in the UK. Her school work is brilliant and she is already picking up the local accent
Well, that is my quick intro - I am sure that I will be commenting on many posts in the future as I am a typical strong minded Yorkshire woman
Karen
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:50 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to BE - living in Manitoba for 5 months

Originally Posted by KJCMedora2011
Hi all,
I have been reading BE for quite some time now as my OH is GC44 and I have posted now and then on his account but decided it was time for me to register myself.
We came out to Manitoba at the end of August, my OH is on a TWP and we are applying for PNP 1st March so when that is approved I should be able to get an OWP for myself. I have had 5 months of unemployment - the longest time I have EVER been unemployed but have been keeping busy renovating the house and getting to know the locals.
So far, although it has only been 5 months, we all (my OH, 12 year old daughter and myself (oh and the dog!), love it here. We are living in a 'town' with a population of approximately 30 people and the nearest shop is 15 miles away but we have adapted without any problems.
Yes, Canada is different to the UK but we are all willing to accept that and go with it.
Our daughter has settled amazingly well and we have found out that she is very talented at skiing and figure skating - something that she would not have even attempted in the UK. Her school work is brilliant and she is already picking up the local accent
Well, that is my quick intro - I am sure that I will be commenting on many posts in the future as I am a typical strong minded Yorkshire woman
Karen
Hi Karen

First of all welcome to BE - glad you have joined us, we can't let the guys have all the fun can we ?!!
I reckon you might like the Canada forum, where I am sure you have checked in with your OH. I'm sure you will find some like minded expats to chat with and you never know where this networking stuff can lead to.
Also you might fancy checking out the working abroad by profession section which you can find on the forum index page in the section below the list of countries. I don't know if your profession will have its own forum but there is a jobs wanted and jobs offered section in there.

In the meantime I hope you enjoy being opart of this little cyber world

Dread - x
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dread. Even though the nearest place is about 15 miles, there does seem to be a number of vacancies around that I know that I would be able to fill and I have already been networking! As you know, in a small community where you are new, everybody has heard of you although you don't know them.
I have already had interest from somebody that we have met I am willing to do anything although I have usually worked in accounts / credit control. I am very positive that I will find something but am continuing to network and meet as many people as I can so that I have as many options as possible
I am quite getting used to this staying at home at the moment though!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rosemary
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aha a fellow Yorkshire woman!!!! We were from North Yorkshire and moved to MB last year! I have messaged your OH or certainly replied to his posts!

Welcome and keep in touch and let me know how you get on here in foggy Manitoba!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - we are from North Yorkshire too - York to be exact but not missing it at all - just missing friends and family but not too bad. It is pretty foggy today although it has cleared a little since first thing. Whereabouts were you from and whereabouts in MB are you?