Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New here and going to Oman Sooon

New here and going to Oman Sooon

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:53 am
Just Joined

bmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant future
Default New here and going to Oman Sooon

Hello everyone, I'm an American woman and have a choice of a job in Muscat or Nizwa. I'll write about it in a post as I could sure use some answers. I have not yet made a commitment or decision.

thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here and going to Oman Sooon

Originally Posted by bmedia
Hello everyone, I'm an American woman and have a choice of a job in Muscat or Nizwa. I'll write about it in a post as I could sure use some answers. I have not yet made a commitment or decision.

thanks
Hey...welcome to BE.

I'm not sure how many of our members live in the areas you mention...I suggest you post any questions you have in our Middle East Forums. There is also an Introduction thread in the Sand Pit...why don't you pop over there and introduce yourself?

If you find yourself a little lost navigating the many BE forums...we have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. The concierge for the Middle East forums is Blue Cat...please contact her if you need any help.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the ME forums are Bob, NorthernLad and rowell.

Please shout out if you require assistance with anything.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and oooh you lucky person . I've been to Muscat, Oman many times though not for quite a few years (so my info will be way out of date). I just LOVED it there. The local people were just lovely and it's so different to other Gulf countries I've visited. A really nice atmosphere about the place, very clean - almost like the Singapore of the Arabian Gulf.

Trying to remember when I last visited there - probably 2006 I reckon, so it's probably changed quite a bit. I don't really know much about Nizwa I'm afraid.

Hope you find the info you need. Do stick some postings in the Middle East forum or maybe do a search on there first (top right hand button) for Muscat or Nizwa, and tag onto one of the existing threads.

Best of luck. I'm quite jealous
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

bmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant futurebmedia has a brilliant future

Thanks for your warm response. I was in Oman last year for 3 months but mostly out in the desert. However ever cloud with a silver lining has it storm not far behind. I'm pretty concerned about finding affordable housing with my dog in Muscat.

Hopefully will find some answers here. If I don't I may take the other job where I know I can get affordable housing and that my dog will not be an issue.

Will look for the ME forum. These forum seems to be much more active with more on subject and more intelligent responses than the oman forum I tried.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bmedia - you lucky lady. I lived in Muscat for a number of years, and a more lovely place you could not hope to live in. I have been to Nizwa, but personally I'd live in Muscat. The people, the food, the customs, the welcome, the schools are all faultless. The only downside is that is it veeeery hot in summer - that being said, the cars all have A/C, all offices and homes etc., but you can tend to put on weight if you live there long. The social life is good, but you don't tend to walk off the calories as it's so hot. The best bit of advice I was given when I arrived in Muscat was - 'Say YES to every invitation for the first year, and you will discover who you like and will then say No' - after 18 months, I realised I hadn't been at home for an evening, unless I was entertaining. I had a blast, and I am sure you will do too. Let us know how it goes.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Default still working on housing for my dog and me in muscat

thanks for that!

I posted on the ME forum but all the answers came from people living in other countries not oman. as much as I prefer to live in muscat I'm considering the other job an hour and 30 mins. outside of Muscat because of the housing costs that would be near where my job is in al Elan......

There is no place like Muscat in Oman but having a dog I dearly love I will sacrifice my living situation in order to be stress free.

The problem is that both jobs pay the same and the housing in the city an hour away seems to be 1/2 the price of Muscat.

Although now I have not heard from anyone after being offered the job.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:20 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the Arab world for a number of years....Oman was the only dog friendly place. A dog in Palestine and Libya, was not ideal. I took my Springer Spaniel to Palestine, and then later she spent five years in Oman. It was great, she was welcomed everywhere. The Omanis are a gentle and civilised bunch. Veterinary services are great and cat and dog food easy to buy and you don't have to take out a mortgage to purchase it. Now I'm hauling a Cairn terrier and three big moggies to Canada next year - an animal free life would be a damned lot easier, but sadder I'm sure. May you and your dog have happy trails!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
I lived in the Arab world for a number of years....Oman was the only dog friendly place. A dog in Palestine and Libya, was not ideal. I took my Springer Spaniel to Palestine, and then later she spent five years in Oman. It was great, she was welcomed everywhere. The Omanis are a gentle and civilised bunch. Veterinary services are great and cat and dog food easy to buy and you don't have to take out a mortgage to purchase it. Now I'm hauling a Cairn terrier and three big moggies to Canada next year - an animal free life would be a damned lot easier, but sadder I'm sure. May you and your dog have happy trails!
yes life is easier without pets but snuggling into my dogs furry face for a touch is irreplaceable. I once had a springer spaniel too. He flew in the front seat of a chartered plane to Alaska!

I was in Oman last year with my dog and he was treated like a movie star--- but I was there only 3 months and way out in Ibri. I made it to muscat 2x and it was harder with my little guy in Muscat-- a reason I'm concerned about moving to Muscat. I am taking a teaching job in my vocation (not English teacher) and yet the pay offer is not that good. In fact they do not offer anymore to be located in Muscat than they do at the 3 other colleges outside of Muscat. The cost of renting seems like it may be too high to make Muscat home with the pay they are offering.

Last edited by bmedia; Jul 25th 2011 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE user by choice

Why aren't they giving you accommodation? I evidently know less than nothing about your situation, but... most schools seem to offer accommodation. I worked at Muscat Private School for a number of years, but I got a flat and all sorts of other things. I'm glad you too found your doggie to be welcomed, it makes a difference doesn't it?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmedia

thanks
WAVES
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:52 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add my voice to everyone saying hello and welcoming you to the forum

I had lots of Omani friends and I have to say they were some of the most genuine and pleasant people I've met in my life. I've never been there myself but have heard many good things about the country as well as the people.

Wishing you and your doggie the best of luck with your move and please keep us updated!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesHorncastle
Hello,

I would like to welcome you and also I am totally newbie to this forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here as we always have a lot of very good topics here. I am really looking forward to a happy and enjoyable experience.

Best Regards
James Horncastle
Hello...I see you are in India...what brings you to a forum for British Expats?