British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   New Here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/new-here-784608/)

mrmintcake Jan 21st 2013 7:21 pm

New Here

Hey all, im new to the site. Im on here for advice about moving away from the UK and whether people know if there are any positions available for a firefighter.

Jerseygirl Jan 21st 2013 7:24 pm

Re: New Here

Originally Posted by mrmintcake (Post 10497105)
Hey all, im new to the site. Im on here for advice about moving away from the UK and whether people know if there are any positions available for a firefighter.

Hi...welcome to BE.

What countries are you interested in?

mrmintcake Jan 21st 2013 7:28 pm

Honestly any where

Jerseygirl Jan 21st 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrmintcake (Post 10497115)
Honestly any where

Why don't you take a look down the list of countries in the Living and Moving Abroad Forum and see what countries interest you? As this forum is purely to welcome new members to BE...it would be best if you post your questions in the country forum you are interested in.

Sorry...but you can cross the US off the list...I'm not sure about the other countries. Of course you could move to another EU country without too much of a problem.

Good luck.

mrmintcake Jan 21st 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks

Sorry but can i ask why crossing the US off the list?

Jerseygirl Jan 21st 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by mrmintcake (Post 10497147)
Thanks

Sorry but can i ask why crossing the US off the list?

It's one of the most difficult countries for Brits to move to...unless you are an American, married to a USC etc. Take a look at the following...if you fall into one of the categories you may have a chance of moving to the US.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

mrmintcake Jan 21st 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks

christmasoompa Jan 21st 2013 9:20 pm

Forget Canada too, unless you have another route in (i.e. net worth/Canadian relative/a spouse with a more in demand job etc).

At least we're crossing countries off, so you can narrow things down!

Good luck choosing somewhere.

:)

mrmintcake Jan 21st 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks. Yeah its good to start narrowing it down abit

christmasoompa Jan 21st 2013 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrmintcake (Post 10497296)
Thanks. Yeah its good to start narrowing it down abit

If you can give a bit more info, then people may be able to suggest where may suit - do you speak any other languages, what are you looking to move for, how long do you want to go for (permanently or just an adventure for a year?), what sort of climate, do you want to ski or surf, is it just you or a family, do you want to be able to pop back to the UK quickly, etc, etc??

MrsFychan Jan 21st 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by mrmintcake (Post 10497105)

You can cross New Zealand off the list as you need to have NZ residency to be able to apply.

bakedbean Jan 22nd 2013 5:16 am

Hi Mr mintcake and welcome to the forum :thumbup: Love the name :D

mrmintcake Jan 22nd 2013 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10497312)
If you can give a bit more info, then people may be able to suggest where may suit - do you speak any other languages, what are you looking to move for, how long do you want to go for (permanently or just an adventure for a year?), what sort of climate, do you want to ski or surf, is it just you or a family, do you want to be able to pop back to the UK quickly, etc, etc??

It would just be me. I dont mind if its permanent or contract based work. Not bothered about the climate. I dont speak any other languages unfortunately, willing to learn though.

As for poping back to the uk quickly, im not sure really

christmasoompa Jan 22nd 2013 5:24 pm

Can I be a bit rude and ask how old you are?

mrmintcake Jan 22nd 2013 6:12 pm

Im 25 mate