Reload this Page >

New Girl (LHR-HKG-LHR-ZRH-LAX)

New Girl (LHR-HKG-LHR-ZRH-LAX)

Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

LaurieHK will become famous soon enoughLaurieHK will become famous soon enough
Default New Girl (LHR-HKG-LHR-ZRH-LAX)

Hi all,

I'm Laurie. I'm 27 and from London. I've lived in Zurich, Switzerland for the past 3 years (due to my husbands job). At the end of the summer we will be upping sticks and moving across the pond to LA.

I will be arriving in LA without a job and potentially no work-visa either, so will need to find something to occupy my time with! I’m considering going back to university if I can find an affordable course! I have a degree in Product Design and have worked in London as a Lighting Designer, so will probably be snooping about for good design courses to enrol in!

I like travelling (having grown up in Hong Kong, I have an unconditional love of South East Asia), food, design/furniture, going to the cinema, playing about with photoshop, DIY, dogs, chocolate, exercising and having great friends around.

Please message me if you're like-minded and want a new friend come the end of summer. I’ll be free for coffee all day, everyday ("what a loner!").

-Laurie
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Girl (LHR-HKG-LHR-ZRH-LAX)

Originally Posted by LaurieHK
Hi all,

I'm Laurie. I'm 27 and from London. I've lived in Zurich, Switzerland for the past 3 years (due to my husbands job). At the end of the summer we will be upping sticks and moving across the pond to LA.

I will be arriving in LA without a job and potentially no work-visa either, so will need to find something to occupy my time with! I’m considering going back to university if I can find an affordable course! I have a degree in Product Design and have worked in London as a Lighting Designer, so will probably be snooping about for good design courses to enrol in!

I like travelling (having grown up in Hong Kong, I have an unconditional love of South East Asia), food, design/furniture, going to the cinema, playing about with photoshop, DIY, dogs, chocolate, exercising and having great friends around.

Please message me if you're like-minded and want a new friend come the end of summer. I’ll be free for coffee all day, everyday ("what a loner!").

-Laurie
Hello again.

I've replied to your thread in the US forums suggesting you post in the US Immigrations forum about a US visa if you wish to study/live/work in the US.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community. Please give me a shout if you require help with anything site related.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:14 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laurie

I see you have already found our USA forum - and Jerseygirl who is your mod on there (and a bit of a wealth of useful knowledge on how it all goes over the pond but don;t tell her I said that )
There are plenty of fellow expats in LA so I reckon you won;t be short of a coffee buddy or two when you get there. I a sure once you get into the forum a bit and chatting with other folks you will get plenty of suggestions about courses and colleges and stuff (and I see you mention chocolate so someone will share the secret of where they sell the decent stuff in LA cos that American stuff isn;t what we know as chocolate !!!)

That just leaves me to say welcome to BE and all the very best with your move - and what could turn out to be some exciting new things for you

Dread - x
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello again.

I've replied to your thread in the US forums suggesting you post in the US Immigrations forum about a US visa if you wish to study/live/work in the US.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community. Please give me a shout if you require help with anything site related.
Hi Jerseygirl,

Thanks for the advice. Sorry to have confused things by posting twice, wasn’t entirely sure which was the most appropriate place to introduce myself to the US lot!

Regarding visa applications, we are going ahead with an L1 visa and it’s all being handled through my husband’s company, so i’m hoping it should all be fairly straight forward … famous last words?!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Laurie
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Laurie

I see you have already found our USA forum - and Jerseygirl who is your mod on there (and a bit of a wealth of useful knowledge on how it all goes over the pond but don;t tell her I said that )
There are plenty of fellow expats in LA so I reckon you won;t be short of a coffee buddy or two when you get there. I a sure once you get into the forum a bit and chatting with other folks you will get plenty of suggestions about courses and colleges and stuff (and I see you mention chocolate so someone will share the secret of where they sell the decent stuff in LA cos that American stuff isn;t what we know as chocolate !!!)

That just leaves me to say welcome to BE and all the very best with your move - and what could turn out to be some exciting new things for you

Dread - x
Hi Dread,

What an awesome welcome! Thank you

So GLAD there are places I should be able to get some decent chocolate in LA. I’ve been spoiled by Swiss chocolate for the past 3 years, and don’t think I'll be able to cope on a diet of Hershey’s!

I’m pretty pleased to have stumbled upon this forum, it’s already making me feel less nervous about the move. Glad to see there are some like minded people over the pond

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Laurie
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

If you're OH is getting a L1 transfer, you'll get L2 and then can get a EAD, so at least you'll be able to work.

I know a few decent design schools on the east coast, not to many ideas out west, but had a few Brunel mates do exchanges with San Fran State and all enjoyed it, but a bit of a hike. Still, there are loads of free onlines courses, MIT/Havard/Stanford etc all offer decent, varied online classes.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE and good luck!

If you're OH is getting a L1 transfer, you'll get L2 and then can get a EAD, so at least you'll be able to work.

I know a few decent design schools on the east coast, not to many ideas out west, but had a few Brunel mates do exchanges with San Fran State and all enjoyed it, but a bit of a hike. Still, there are loads of free onlines courses, MIT/Havard/Stanford etc all offer decent, varied online classes.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the helpful info! Very useful I hadn’t realised that online courses were an option as well. Good news. I have had a brief look into UCLA Extension courses and there looks to be a fairly broad range, so I might consider one of those to get me started…

Thanks again,

Laurie
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

Have a look at that, quite a range. You'll only get a certificate, no degree or anything, but some of them can be quite interesting, also pretty hard.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

Have a look at that, quite a range. You'll only get a certificate, no degree or anything, but some of them can be quite interesting, also pretty hard.
Bob,

That’s amazing! Thank you Already liking the sound of the Architecture and Art History courses. Will take a more dedicated look at it later!
I had been considering an architectural course that UCLA Extension offer too.

Thanks for your help,

Laurie