Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New to this forum and the USofA.

New to this forum and the USofA.

Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

VickyMcMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to this forum and the USofA.

Hello, or perhaps I should say howdy.

I am new. In lots of ways, ha!

In the process of emigrating to St.Louis from the U.K. Currently out here for 3 months with my fiance' (the American) while we are awaiting for the final stages of our immigration journey. We have been together for just under 4 years in total.

Oh my! I am having some not so good days. Boy! Transitioning is tough. Yer, yer, it is positive with lots of advantages in terms of being prepared and making connections, learning about a new place and all that jazz, but right now I feel marooned. I know I need to re-frame that, but some days are just hard going. I am a tough little cookie when it comes to adversity, but this is a confusing time.

I drift in and out of elation to major confusion.

I hope being on here is a way for me to connect with other people who know what the heck I am droning on about? I want to find the good in this situation/transition and I do, but the not so good is becoming a challenge.

I have given up my home, my job and my studies, which is only for a short-time until I reach some kind of normality out here, but some days I feel afraid.

It's weird, because I am usually a wise-old soul (in a relatively young body , and I can hear myself giving myself all the advice I would give to someone else who is moving their life for love, but I still can't shake all these mean and confused feelings.

Thanks for listening. Please wish me luck
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this forum and the USofA.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'm afraid I don't have any words of wisdom but I just saw your post and had to respond. There are many people on here who understand how you are feeling, so stick around and hopefully this forum will make things a little easier for you as you get used to your new life. I know how tough it is to give up everything familiar and move for love (in my case it was to Canada), but it will get easier.

Keep smiling, and good luck with it all.

Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vicky...welcome to BE.

Many of us have been in the same position...even after many years there are some of us who still have those emotions. It does help to share stories with like minds...I wish BE had been around 15 years ago when I moved to the US.

I see you have already found the US forums...therefore I will give you a few useful links to help you find your feet. I recommend you read through some of the old threads...firstly it familiarises you with some of the regular personalities and secondly there have been many threads about adjusting to life Stateside.

Please take time to take a look in the BE Wiki...it's a great source for information. Also please read through any stickied threads that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Bob, MsElui and penguinsix.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

VickyMcMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your responses.

I will for sure check out the links and places you have suggested. I am really concerned about how I feel about my relationship with my fiance' and being out here. I anticipated some of the feelings I have felt, but I did not anticipate it testing my feelings for the person I have called my best-friend for the last 4 years.

Today, feels exceptionally hard...sigh.

Anyway, I will do all the things you have suggested. Thank you so much. I am so grateful this place and other people like yourselves exist.

Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VickyMcMonkey
Thank you both for your responses.

I will for sure check out the links and places you have suggested. I am really concerned about how I feel about my relationship with my fiance' and being out here. I anticipated some of the feelings I have felt, but I did not anticipate it testing my feelings for the person I have called my best-friend for the last 4 years.

Today, feels exceptionally hard...sigh.

Anyway, I will do all the things you have suggested. Thank you so much. I am so grateful this place and other people like yourselves exist.

Moving here was one of the hardest things emotionally I have ever been through...I still struggle with it from time to time.

One of the worst things is the feeling that everything is temporary. The US will never feel like home...I can't see staying here forever. I feel like a nomad...it's the 'curse of the expats'. Everyone adjusts and settles down at different paces...anyway you can always log on here now and get your 'Brit Fix'.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with it!

It's not easy and moving here is nothing like the tele makes it appear, sometimes moving to a none English speaking is easier
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Vicky, my heart goes out to you. My prescription for today would be a serving of Ted Drewe's - have you discovered that yet? Frozen custard in St. Louis, a local speciality, and quite good if I remember correctly.

Please don't be a stranger and come back whenever you need a friendly ear or word of encouragement.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:10 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vicky

Welcome to BE.
I am sorry to hear you're having a hard time - the things we do for love eh?

It does get easier, but at the start you almost have to suss everything out - even down to what brands of products are the right ones! It is very disorientating for everyone who makes the move.
Whenever you feel lonely, down, pee'd off, or just generally in need of a 'Brit fix' or just a boost, then pop yourself onto this site and get chatting to folks who know what you're going through, and of course, there is that Brit humour that is not quite the same in other parts of the world - and we all need that sometimes.

All the best, I am sure things ill settle down soon, and making friends on here will certainly help as I am sure you will start getting to know some of the people in your new neighbourhood.

Dread - x