Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:00 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Even I did
So the moral of the story is. If you visit LA and want to live there, then don't because you'll hate it. If you visit and hate it, you should move there

Some bloody help we are on this forum, we'll have scared poor Bex off for life
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hope I haven't scared Bex off
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

Originally Posted by Bex B
Hi there all, i've just joined this forum and am hoping to find out some info

My husband works for a large global company and spends alot of time all over the world with increasing amounts of time in USA, the company recently asked if he would consider moving us all to LA so that he can spend a lot more time there. We have 4 children aged 11, 10, 7 and 5 and we have lived all over UK and europe already so am happy to move but i don't really know anything about the states or LA having never been. We are still just thinking about it but i would really appreciste any advice or info anyone has ?

I've got a few concerns about earthquakes and the like but am thinking i'm just feeling a bit over vulnerable ? I would really appreciate some feedback, thanks v much in advance

Bex
Why not visiting the "City of Angels & Fruitcakes" first and see how you like it

"Feeling a bit over vulnerable" and planning to live in LA may a bit audacious for your first taste of the US but why not considering it ? After all, life in Beverly Hills is not that unbearable
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:59 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You don't count I wished I lived there, before I lived there.
Well, when you are sitting around the pool drinking Margarita's, surrounded by orange and lemon trees, giant roses, geraniums and bougainvillea, it can seem quite the life! We picked up a freshly baked gooseberry pie at a bakery at the farmer's market by The Grove. Yum it was good, especially served with hot Bird's custard!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Well, when you are sitting around the pool drinking Margarita's, surrounded by orange and lemon trees, giant roses, geraniums and bougainvillea, it can seem quite the life! We picked up a freshly baked gooseberry pie at a bakery at the farmer's market by The Grove. Yum it was good, especially served with hot Bird's custard!
The area around the Grove is my favourite part of LA.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

carolinecutie is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Pasadena with my husband. We really like the town, it's a lot nicer than Los Angeles itself. My husband goes to Caltech so he can walk to school from our neighborhood. I don't think you would end up in this area if your husband's work is in Agoura Hills, but I would say overall the area is pretty nice.

The weather in SoCal is beautiful and I've only felt one earthquake. I've never felt like people weren't sincere - but I grew up in California so maybe my perspective is a bit different. The schools are not necessarily the greatest... my mom teaches 5th grade and she has a lot of problem students... but I think that depends on the school district you end up in.

Overall, I think you would enjoy the move - how long would it be for?