Reload this Page >

New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Bex B is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

Hi there all, i've just joined this forum and am hoping to find out some info

My husband works for a large global company and spends alot of time all over the world with increasing amounts of time in USA, the company recently asked if he would consider moving us all to LA so that he can spend a lot more time there. We have 4 children aged 11, 10, 7 and 5 and we have lived all over UK and europe already so am happy to move but i don't really know anything about the states or LA having never been. We are still just thinking about it but i would really appreciste any advice or info anyone has ?

I've got a few concerns about earthquakes and the like but am thinking i'm just feeling a bit over vulnerable ? I would really appreciate some feedback, thanks v much in advance

Bex
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Forum, possible move to LA from UK

Originally Posted by Bex B

My husband works for a large global company and spends alot of time all over the world with increasing amounts of time in USA, the company recently asked if he would consider moving us all to LA so that he can spend a lot more time there. We have 4 children aged 11, 10, 7 and 5 and we have lived all over UK and europe already so am happy to move but i don't really know anything about the states or LA having never been. We are still just thinking about it but i would really appreciste any advice or info anyone has ?

I've got a few concerns about earthquakes and the like but am thinking i'm just feeling a bit over vulnerable ? I would really appreciate some feedback, thanks v much in advance

Bex
Hi Bex,

Welcome to BE. I'm sure you will pick up lots of tips here and make a few friends along the way. We have a number of members who live in the LA area and I am sure they will be happy to share their experiences. Check out our USA forum.

If you get stuck on anything please do not hesitate to give me a shout.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:06 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bex and welcome to the forum
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:23 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Bex
Hi Bex

We lived in LA for 3 years, it's a weird place. It's not like any other city I have experienced, it doesn't have a main area, it's more like 10 cities all joined together, it really is vast. The areas by the beach are very different to areas in The Valley (San Fernando Valley) and both are equally different to Los Feliz for instance. Where your husband works will have a big say on where you live. Commuting is as bad as you imagine, 20 miles on a 5 lane freeway can take 90 minutes.

Some people love living in LA, personally I think it's a great place to visit, I didn't enjoy living there, I tried to make the best of it, but now I'm away I know I was never truly happy there. Most people I met were very friendly on the outside, oh we must do lunch... but most of it is fake, it's the same where the kids are involved, nobody replies to birthday invites/playdates as something better might come up. In the 3 years I lived there I made 2 friends, 1 of whom is English. I still have to go back every few months for work, and I always feel a sense of relief that we don't live there anymore.

As for the earthquakes, there's not much to worry about, you feel the odd jolt or rumble every now and again, and yes they are weird, but tbh I found the wildfires more worrying when I lived there.

To get some better advise, you need to be more specific on what part of LA you would be moving to.

Although I didn't enjoy living there, I will never regret making the decision to move. I'll happily help answer any questions I can.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Bex B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by N1cky
Hi Bex

We lived in LA for 3 years, it's a weird place. It's not like any other city I have experienced, it doesn't have a main area, it's more like 10 cities all joined together, it really is vast. The areas by the beach are very different to areas in The Valley (San Fernando Valley) and both are equally different to Los Feliz for instance. Where your husband works will have a big say on where you live. Commuting is as bad as you imagine, 20 miles on a 5 lane freeway can take 90 minutes.

Some people love living in LA, personally I think it's a great place to visit, I didn't enjoy living there, I tried to make the best of it, but now I'm away I know I was never truly happy there. Most people I met were very friendly on the outside, oh we must do lunch... but most of it is fake, it's the same where the kids are involved, nobody replies to birthday invites/playdates as something better might come up. In the 3 years I lived there I made 2 friends, 1 of whom is English. I still have to go back every few months for work, and I always feel a sense of relief that we don't live there anymore.

As for the earthquakes, there's not much to worry about, you feel the odd jolt or rumble every now and again, and yes they are weird, but tbh I found the wildfires more worrying when I lived there.

To get some better advise, you need to be more specific on what part of LA you would be moving to.

Although I didn't enjoy living there, I will never regret making the decision to move. I'll happily help answer any questions I can.

Thanks very much for the info N1cky, its really good to hear from people who like and not-so-like an area so your info was very interesting, if our plans become more definite we are intending to go over and have a look round for a couple of weeks anyway so i may get a better idea then.

His company are around Agoura Hills, Calabasas area i think, so you're right it would probs be best to look near to his work in order to cut out too much travelling, and thankyou for putting my mind at rest about earthquakes, but eeek didn't think of the fires!! It will be a very interesting next few months but i realy appreciate your feedback.

Thanks too to Sue and Bakedbean for your welcomes too
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the info N1cky, its really good to hear from people who like and not-so-like an area so your info was very interesting, if our plans become more definite we are intending to go over and have a look round for a couple of weeks anyway so i may get a better idea then.

His company are around Agoura Hills, Calabasas area i think, so you're right it would probs be best to look near to his work in order to cut out too much travelling, and thankyou for putting my mind at rest about earthquakes, but eeek didn't think of the fires!! It will be a very interesting next few months but i realy appreciate your feedback.

Thanks too to Sue and Bakedbean for your welcomes too
We lived in Woodland Hills, and I worked in Westlake Village, so know that area well. Sally Redux lives in Calabasas too, and has posted quite a bit on the area. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Some people love living in LA
Name 3

We lived in Woodland Hills, and I worked in Westlake Village, so know that area well. Sally Redux lives in Calabasas too, and has posted quite a bit on the area. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Yes hi Bex, somehow I missed this thread. I'm your person if you want the 'warts and all' view of LA
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Name 3

Yes hi Bex, somehow I missed this thread. I'm your person if you want the 'warts and all' view of LA
Give me a couple of days, and I'll get back to you on that.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Name 3

My daughter
Lord Lionheart
David Beckham

Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
My daughter
Lord Lionheart
He's mad
David Beckham
I think the family lives in London?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

He's mad

I think the family lives in London?
Ok...well daughter liked it mostly because of the job she had there

The jury is out on LL...

The Beckhams are in London now but they still have a house in LA so I assume they do not dislike it ....
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Beckhams are in London now but they still have a house in LA so I assume they do not dislike it ....
Seems like they don't think it's 'a better life for the kids'

Top marks for trying though
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter
Lord Lionheart
David Beckham

Me! I'm in LA at the moment visiting a friend. Love LA, wish I lived here!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
Me! I'm in LA at the moment visiting a friend. Love LA, wish I lived here!
You don't count I wished I lived there, before I lived there.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You don't count I wished I lived there, before I lived there.
Even I did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.