Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New Expat in Portugal

New Expat in Portugal

Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Rubberlegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up New Expat in Portugal

Hello All, New to the forum and Portugal. Ex Golf Professional, who during my playing days visited here yearly and it always felt good.
I came out before the UK leaving Europe to secure residency (crucial I am told) and came out for good a few weeks after selling my house.
Having to battle my way here on Brexit day and driving through Europe with a car load of clothes etc. (only means available) and through the snows of the Pyrenees (even snow in Madrid that's how bad it was) was frightening!.
Now I have been here for over a month and Covid19 is making progress tough in all directions and sapping to my feeling that I 'did I do the right thing'?.
This site is so helpful though, as all the things you knew about your own country (UK) are useless here, due to another system and rules.
So thanks for what I have already gleaned.
I am an avid reader of the previous posts here, as they contain nuggets of wisdom, that will surely help me?

Last edited by Rubberlegs; Feb 3rd 2021 at 12:31 pm. Reason: typos
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:48 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Expat in Portugal

Hi and welcome to the forum from me.

Sounds like a bit of a hair-raising start to this new chapter of your life but if you've always felt good when previously visiting I'm sure your initial fears will melt away as you begin to settle in. As you say, Covid-19 is interfering a bit with getting the essentials sorted for new arrivals. I'm guessing you're somewhere in Algarve, so at least you'll be getting the best winter weather available.

Pop in to the Portugal section if you've any questions we can help with, or if there's anything you can add from your experiences in response to others.

Look forward to reading more from you.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Expat in Portugal

Hi Rubberlegs (great name!), welcome to BE

As Red Eric says, if you post on the Portugal forum here https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/ you'll find lots of advice on how to negotiate setting yourself up in Portugal. It's also good just to chat with others who've been where you are now. As a start, maybe repost what you've written here on the Portugal forum, that will start a conversation.

Best of luck settling into your new home.