Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New in Damascus!!

New in Damascus!!

Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Tamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant future
Default New in Damascus!!

Arrived in Damascus 4 weeks ago from London.

The city is really great, simple and down to earth and the people are very friendly.

Cham City Centre (Shopping Centre) is really georgeous and the roof terrace is great for an evening meal or coffee and it's open until midnight everyday!

Weather has been really good. Sunshine everyday and just a spot of rain in 4 weeks, although we could probably do with more.

Having to feed lots of hungry cats. They are everywhere! I already have my own colony who have set up home just below the apartment where I live. They know me when I sneak down and feed them. They are not so popular with the locals who see them as pests but that's just the difference in culture.

Not sure if there are many other expats on forum in Syria but it's worth a try!!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in Damascus!!

Hi there...welcome to BE.

It sounds like the local wildlife is keeping you very busy.

I'm not sure if we have any members who live in Syria. I suggest you take a look around the Middle East Forums...if we have that is where they will hang out.

There is also an Introduction thread in the Sand Pit...why don't you pop over there and introduce yourself?

If you find yourself a little lost navigating the many BE forums...we have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. The concierge for the Middle East forums is Blue Cat...please contact her if you need any help.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the ME forums are Bob, NorthernLad and rowell.

Please shout out if you need any help...there's usually someone around 24/7 to help out.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:50 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tamsin

Welcome to BE.
Damascus sounds lovely - and very exotic. It's not the most common place for expats so how did you end up there?
As Jerseygirl suggests, it is well worth popping into the Middle East forum and introducing yourself. They are a chatty bunch over there so I m sure you will be made most welcome.
Other than that I wish you all the very best in your new home

Dread - x
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Tamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant futureTamsin has a brilliant future

Thank-you so much for your replies and your advice on using BE.

I know Syria is not the usual choice for expats but there is a story behind my move to here.

Perhaps unusually, I actually moved here for my safety which I know seems strange if you are up to date on news in the Middle East! Anyway, I am happy to say that I am very safe and well here and feeling a lot happier. In fact, I have not missed the UK at all - not bad as I am a novice when it comes to living outside my comfort zone i.e. relocating to a different country. I literally made the decision, booked the flight and travelled the same day with one suitcase to my name!

I will navigate around BE, particularly the Middle East forums as advised. I had a peek, but Syria is not top of the forum list- maybe I can change that!

Am planning to learn Arabic here which should help me along. Can understand some words here and there but have a l-o-n-g way to go!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:21 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tamsin

I know Syria is not the usual choice for expats but there is a story behind my move to here.

Perhaps unusually, I actually moved here for my safety which I know seems strange if you are up to date on news in the Middle East! Anyway, I am happy to say that I am very safe and well here and feeling a lot happier. In fact, I have not missed the UK at all - not bad as I am a novice when it comes to living outside my comfort zone i.e. relocating to a different country. I literally made the decision, booked the flight and travelled the same day with one suitcase to my name!

I will navigate around BE, particularly the Middle East forums as advised. I had a peek, but Syria is not top of the forum list- maybe I can change that!

Am planning to learn Arabic here which should help me along. Can understand some words here and there but have a l-o-n-g way to go!
Hi Tamsin

Well I am very glad to hear you are now safe from whatever threat you were under and glad you are feeling happy.

There are some local folk who participat in the Middle East forum, so they may be able to help with your Arabic.

Best wishes from me

Dread - x
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pleased to hear you are in a place of safety now. I know we do have at lease one member who is Syrian...but he doesn't post here very often now. Still there are plenty of Brits and other nationalities who frequent the forums...I hope you will enjoy 'chatting' to them.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:06 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in Damascus 4 weeks ago from London.

The city is really great, simple and down to earth and the people are very friendly.

Cham City Centre (Shopping Centre) is really georgeous and the roof terrace is great for an evening meal or coffee and it's open until midnight everyday!

Weather has been really good. Sunshine everyday and just a spot of rain in 4 weeks, although we could probably do with more.

Having to feed lots of hungry cats. They are everywhere! I already have my own colony who have set up home just below the apartment where I live. They know me when I sneak down and feed them. They are not so popular with the locals who see them as pests but that's just the difference in culture.

Not sure if there are many other expats on forum in Syria but it's worth a try!!
Hello Tamsin,

Welcome to BE! Damascus does sound exotic! As I'm in Canada, I have met a few Syrians from the border with the Lebanon ... but they were all from the Christian minority and were French-speaking, so were attracted to Qu├ębec and the Ottawa area for linguistic reasons. They certainly are friendly ... and remarkable cooks!

I see the gang here have set you up, and got you pointed in the right directions, and so it simply remains for me to bid you greetings from Ontario!

With every good wish,
Chris
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

All the best in your new Home and have fun learning Arabic.