British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   New to Britshexpats.com (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/new-britshexpats-com-931604/)

Wobblebottom01 Mar 9th 2020 12:51 am

New to Britshexpats.com

Hi All,
My wife (Deb) and I (Andy) are thinking of moving to France in the next couple of years. We live in Salsbury, Deb is a therapeutic counselor and I'm a psychiatric nurse. We live in Salisbury and the idea is for us to get a property probably somewhere in Northern France relatively close to a French port.
Deb will live full time in France and I will commute every two weeks back to the UK to work
We are brand new to this idea so not sure how or if it will pan out, fingers crossed.
I'm sure there will be plenty of you experts out there who will be happy to pass on your wealth of knowledge, so the very best to you all.
Andy + Deb

dmu Mar 9th 2020 7:34 am

Re: New to Britshexpats.com

Originally Posted by Wobblebottom01 (Post 12817933)
Hi All,
My wife (Deb) and I (Andy) are thinking of moving to France in the next couple of years. We live in Salsbury, Deb is a therapeutic counselor and I'm a psychiatric nurse. We live in Salisbury and the idea is for us to get a property probably somewhere in Northern France relatively close to a French port.
Deb will live full time in France and I will commute every two weeks back to the UK to work
We are brand new to this idea so not sure how or if it will pan out, fingers crossed.
I'm sure there will be plenty of you experts out there who will be happy to pass on your wealth of knowledge, so the very best to you all.
Andy + Deb

Hi, and welcome to the forum (again)!
Post again in the France section, as there are several issues to sort out regarding your respective employment statuses.
Some one more in the know will come along to explain about residing in France and working in the UK, also whether and how your wife's qualifications can be validated in France. Also, a counsellor communicates verbally with patients - how is her French?
Before posting, take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs at the top of the France forum. particularly #20 and #22, if not all!!:)

Debscooper Mar 9th 2020 2:32 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for your response to my hubby's post.
I work with Children, young people and adults and work online as well as face to face. My intention is to be semi-retired by the time we move to France (hopefully) and I can continue to work with my online clients once there. I will no longer work face to face.

I look forward to finding out what is to be expected of us, and thank you all in advance for your help.

Deb

dmu Mar 9th 2020 4:08 pm

[QUOTE=Debscooper;12818197]Hi,

Many thanks for your response to my hubby's post.
I work with Children, young people and adults and work online as well as face to face. My intention is to be semi-retired by the time we move to France (hopefully) and I can continue to work with my online clients once there. I will no longer work face to face.

I look forward to finding out what is to be expected of us, and thank you all in advance for your help.

Deb[/QUOTE
Hi, and welcome to the forum to you, too!!
If you'll be working on-line and/or face to face with private clients, you'll have to set up a French business structure and pay Contributions into the healthcare System. There again, post again in the France forum, as I'm not sure whether such counselling is regulated and can be carried out as a commercial "Micro-Entreprise".

Debscooper Mar 9th 2020 4:53 pm

Thank you,

You've been really helpful already :thumbsup:
I will be looking into self-employment in France and will post on the french Forum, thanks!