British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   New to BE!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/new-843940/)

Abdul Aleem Sep 26th 2014 3:03 pm

Hello All!!!:D

I've just recently registered to the forum, and can barely contain my exitement as to the plethora of information on here.

Both in the WIKI's (which, I might add, I have recently found and am printing off steadily for later reading) and in the willingness and general helpful attitudes of forum members and administrators.

I was a reading a few replies and then decided.....yep, I am sure I can consult this forum for help and become a part of this community.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who I may speak with, bug, or pester in advance.

Aleem

Sorry, sorry....Where are my manners?

In the exitement to begin my first post, I totally forgot to mention anything about myself.

I am Aleem and together with my wife and 18 month old daughter we plan to immigrate ( or is it emmigrate? .. I can never tell!!) to Canada.

We have just got back from there and loved the place.

We currently live in a suburb of London called Pinner, which is to the north west of the City.

Canada holds particular importance for us as a couple, as the Niagra Falls is where I proposed to my wife.

Aleem

Hello again to all BE members :D

Especially those that currently reside in, or are planning to make the move to Canada.

We are contemplating moving to Ontario, or to Alberta and are still unsettled as to which avenue to explore.

Right now, both of us are trying to read the WIKI's so as to gear up on information, and to reduce the possibility of asking unecessary questions that have already been answered or posted before.

Thanks once again we will be back after having digested all this info.....and boy do we have questions!!!!:)

Bob Sep 26th 2014 4:54 pm

Re: New to BE!!!

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move! :)

Rosemary Sep 27th 2014 7:46 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

bakedbean Sep 27th 2014 9:04 am

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Do check out the Canada section of the forum, won't you. You'll find an Immigration section there, and plenty of helpful folks to assist you with any questions that you may have.

Hope it all works out.

SchnookoLoly Sep 27th 2014 1:21 pm

Welcome!

Sounds like you're well on your way with research. Head on over to the Canada forum and we'll be happy to answer questions!

Good luck! :)

Abdul Aleem Sep 29th 2014 10:26 am

Hi there SchnookoLoly,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still ploughing through all the wiki entries and have printed off the form from the CIC website and am looking at that also.

We were in your area too, well we were in Mississauga then Oakville and looked around at appartments, cars, living costs in general etc and to be honest love the area.

The question now becomes, what do we do when we get there? and which type of visa do we apply under? We are thinking that both of us apply as Federal Skilled Workers and do it that way, although there does seem to be another route being the Provincial Nominee Programme.

Either way, we have some other concerns that need to be adressed in the forum, and they concern Police reports, and my previous work experience.

I will try to be posting my findings after ive finished reading.

It's not as easy as it all sounds and the other day me and the mrs almost gave up on the whole thing. In fact shes half minded to stay on in the UK now.

I will be back very soon.

Thanks once again for your welkcoming words

Dear Rosemary,

I thank you kindly for your encourageing words, Lord knows, we need it!!!

I just want to know is there a precise forum etiquette I need to adhere to in regards to asking people questions? Or can I dive straight in and question a member if I feel their topic of discussion interests me?

I have read all the rules, terms etc but would rather err on the other side of caution, if you see what I mean.

I am having concerns with my potential application, as it does not seem to be as simple nor straight forward as initially thought, due to my haphazard previous work experience, and stints abroad, along with marrying a woman who grew up in a country where trying to get documents attested/certified is difficult to say the least.

I will mosey on down to the immigration forum in a day or so and post my predicament there and see the feedback if similar or done before by anyone else.

Aleem

christmasoompa Sep 29th 2014 11:41 am

Hi, I've merged your posts again, please if you think of something else you wish to add to a post, just use the edit button rather than multi-posting.

Originally Posted by Abdul Aleem (Post 11421874)
The question now becomes, what do we do when we get there? and which type of visa do we apply under? We are thinking that both of us apply as Federal Skilled Workers and do it that way, although there does seem to be another route being the Provincial Nominee Programme.

You don't both need to apply as FSW's, only one of you does - the other would go as a dependent on the principal applicant's visa application. If you qualify as FSW now, then the advice would be to apply now, as the whole system is changing next year and it's predicted to make it much harder for most. As you'd need a job offer for a PNP app (presumably, although you've not said which province or stream you'd be applying under - but the majority require a job offer and sponsoring employer), FSW would be much easier now as no job offer is required.

Either way, we have some other concerns that need to be adressed in the forum, and they concern Police reports, and my previous work experience.

Feel free to post about them in the Canada section of the forum - if they're visa related queries, then the immigration section is the one to ask those questions in.

It's not as easy as it all sounds and the other day me and the mrs almost gave up on the whole thing. In fact shes half minded to stay on in the UK now.

Definitely not easy! Emigration isn't for the faint hearted, if you think your wife is having second thoughts then is she really prepared to spend a year or two in the application process and spend £20k+ on the move? It would be worth having that conversation now before you get too far down the road of it all, and making sure she's completely on board with the idea.

I just want to know is there a precise forum etiquette I need to adhere to in regards to asking people questions? Or can I dive straight in and question a member if I feel their topic of discussion interests me?

If you read the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky thread in the Canada forum then that will tell you all you need to know. Put simply though, have a read of the Wiki and the forum and then do feel free to ask any questions you like, although please don't hijack others threads and please don't post on old threads either - it's usually best to start your own threads.

HTH a bit, and hopefully see you in the Canada forums shortly.

:)

Abdul Aleem Sep 29th 2014 11:49 am

Hi there Baked Bean,

In fact define irony, speaking to someone called baked bean whiled having baked beans on toast....ha ha!!

Sorry, I just wanted to say thanks in person to all that have taken the time and trouble to reply. It is heartwarming.

I really have made this decision, which I don't even know if I'm doing the right thing, or if this will make the quality or fullfillness of our lives any better or not, but have emabrked on this risk taking trail.

Me and my wife were thinking together and looking at everything and looked at our ages, experiences, etc and we decided weve got one shot, scary as though it may sound, let's do it.

Like I mentioned above, we very nearly gave up on the whole thing.

I am going to take your advice and put a post up of my concerns in the other part of the forum you mentioned and see where it takes us.

Aleem

Abdul Aleem Sep 29th 2014 11:58 am

Hi Christmasoompa,

Regards my wife, she is onboard, and i agree with you about the whole fsw thing, we are going to apply with that in mind. I will be putting a detailed situation up in the emmigration section.

Also, how do I edit and add to an earlier post as such, as right now i saw an edit icon so i did that but for some of my other posts i didnt see it. I am sorry for that inconvenience and it is not my intent in any way to clutter the thread.

aleem

christmasoompa Sep 29th 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Abdul Aleem (Post 11421962)
Also, how do I edit and add to an earlier post as such, as right now i saw an edit icon so i did that but for some of my other posts i didnt see it. I am sorry for that inconvenience and it is not my intent in any way to clutter the thread.

No probs, you can edit a post up to 2 hours after posting - after that, only mods can do it.

It's not a problem posting more than once in a row, but we do get people sometimes postings numerous times just to access the PM system which isn't allowed - and just FYI, as a newbie, asking forum members questions via PM isn't great forum netiquette, have a look at the sticky thread in the Canada forum about asking for immi advice via PM.

PM's are really for you to chat with friends you've made on the forum, if you have a question please ask it on the open forum.

Thanks.

:)

Abdul Aleem Sep 29th 2014 10:54 pm

Thank you for the information.

I do have to apologise, in my haste to ellicit information, i do believe i am guilty of this although i did not initially know about the minimum posting rule before the pm system allows you to post.

i think the fact that i posted so many times, unbeknown to me the pm system must have been open for me and i did use it.

but i will use the correct format as of now.

i am in fact trying to engage the service of a representative that a forum user by the name of 'anunlikelyunion' made on Feb 6th 2011, 3:25 pm in post no. 38 on pg 3 of the thread 're: migration consultants'

i have taken the time and spent a good hour trying to put all the details together and will be posting it in the right forum of emmigration.

please do check it out that im doing the right thing in terms of forum etiquette again.

and thank you, its not easy to moderate im sure.

aleem

christmasoompa Oct 1st 2014 7:26 am

No probs.

Originally Posted by Abdul Aleem (Post 11422790)
i am in fact trying to engage the service of a representative that a forum user by the name of 'anunlikelyunion' made on Feb 6th 2011, 3:25 pm in post no. 38 on pg 3 of the thread 're: migration consultants'

If the thread is from 2011, then that's a very old recommendation - I'd search for more recent ones if you really feel you need to use a consultant. But tbh, I can't see any reason why you'd need to from what you've said on your threads? You don't seem to have complicated circumstances i.e. a criminal record or medical issues? So you can easily do it yourself and save a few thousand quid.

Your call of course, but personally if you do think you need help with the form filling, I'd look for more recently recommended consultants.