Reload this Page >

My widow grandmother alone in Canada

My widow grandmother alone in Canada

Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

ClaireRB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My widow grandmother alone in Canada

Hi

This is my first time posting - not even sure I'm putting it up in right place! But here goes:

My grandparents moved to Canada 20+ years ago. My grandad is 91 and in hospital, dying. My 85 year old grandmother is in the house on her own. Vancouver Island, BC.

I live in the U.K., late 30's, Masters degree, one four year old son.

I have visited my grandparents a lot, very happy to immigrate immediately so my grandma will have us there.

I see that grandparents cannot sponsor their grandchildren. But it seems they CAN if they are alone in Canada with no relatives?

Is anyone familiar with the application process for this? My grandmother would need me or a lawyer to fill out all the forms. She loves Canada and does not want to leave her community, house etc. Brining her back to the UK is not an option.
Anyone able to shed some light on what to do next? I am travelling over to her and my grandad in the next few days.

Thanks,

Claire
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My widow grandmother alone in Canada

Originally Posted by ClaireRB
Hi

This is my first time posting - not even sure I'm putting it up in right place! But here goes:

My grandparents moved to Canada 20+ years ago. My grandad is 91 and in hospital, dying. My 85 year old grandmother is in the house on her own. Vancouver Island, BC.

I have visited my grandparents a lot, very happy to immigrate immediately so my grandma will have us there.

I see that grandparents cannot sponsor their grandchildren. But it seems they CAN if they are alone in Canada with no relatives?

Is anyone familiar with the application process for this? My grandmother would need me or a lawyer to fill out all the forms. She loves Canada and does not want to leave her community, house etc. Brining her back to the UK is not an option.
Anyone able to shed some light on what to do next? I am travelling over to her and my grandad in the next few days.

Thanks,

Claire
Hi Claire and welcome to BE.

I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather is so ill, it must be very hard for you to be away from them at this time. The Welcome Inn is just for saying hello and providing orientation to BE - if you post your question on the Canada Immigration page of BE, I'm sure there will be people there who can offer advice.

Just copy your above post, click on here Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) - British Expats , then click on 'new thread' on the top left of the page, and paste your post there.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about how BE works please don't hesitate to ask myself, Rete or Mike on here. Best of luck Claire.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 7:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear about your Granddad.

Can see that you have found the Canadian forum so shall leave you in their capable hands.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:20 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClaireRB
Hi

Thanks,

Claire
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary