Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

My dream is Paris

My dream is Paris

Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:59 am
Just Joined

ParisDream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My dream is Paris

Hello, first of all I am brand new to the BritishExpats so I hope this post is sent successfully. I am currently a college student in Montana and I am getting a bachelors degree in English. It has always been a dream of mine to live in Paris. I have never been there so I suppose getting to know more about how it is to live there would be a great start. I was wondering if anyone can talk to me about how it is to live there and how the expenses are. I am going to start taking French and I am looking online for a good cd to buy so I can learn. If I was to move down to Paris are there very many teaching jobs being offered for Americans?
I will greatly appreciate any answers and I hope to meet new friends on here as well.
Take care!

Last edited by ParisDream; Sep 25th 2012 at 6:02 am. Reason: misspelled word
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My dream is Paris

Originally Posted by ParisDream
Hello, first of all I am brand new to the BritishExpats so I hope this post is sent successfully. I am currently a college student in Montana and I am getting a bachelors degree in English. It has always been a dream of mine to live in Paris. I have never been there so I suppose getting to know more about how it is to live there would be a great start. I was wondering if anyone can talk to me about how it is to live there and how the expenses are. I am going to start taking French and I am looking online for a good cd to buy so I can learn. If I was to move down to Paris are there very many teaching jobs being offered for Americans?
I will greatly appreciate any answers and I hope to meet new friends on here as well.
Take care!
Hi and welcome to the forum!
First things first, consult the nearest French Consulate to find out about Visas.
Once you know that you can obtain one, be aware that you won't get a teaching job in a French State school without mastering French and being able to explain to the pupils, in French, the differences between the two Grammars. You also have to pass a Competitive Exam in order to teach in a Secondary School. This is difficult and even French Primary School teachers fail....
Some one will come along concerning teaching English to Adults. There are plenty of language schools in Paris, but as far as I understand, it's never full-time and badly paid.
The unemployment rate in France is very high and bilingual French Graduates are obliged to accept menial work in order to survive.
If you've never been to Paris, then go for an extended visit, and live, not as a tourist, but as if you were actually living there on a strict budget and counting your euros. I think you'll be in for a shock. It's not the romantic dreamland that "foreigners" imagine, the cost of day-to-day living is high and the Parisiens aren't friendly. I lived and worked there for several years at the beginning....
Enquire about work visas, come over for a holiday, take a course in French, then decide!
You're young and could go for it, but forget the tourist paradise side of Paris, it's a down-to-earth city for those who live there.

P.S. Post again on the France forum, you'll get more response, although there aren't many members living in Paris...

Last edited by dmu; Sep 25th 2012 at 7:38 am.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just visit Paris for the 90 days allowed without a visa if you have never visited the place?

That would surely give you enough time to find out about the city. You could get a short term vacation rental.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi and welcome to the forum!
First things first, consult the nearest French Consulate to find out about Visas.
Once you know that you can obtain one, be aware that you won't get a teaching job in a French State school without mastering French and being able to explain to the pupils, in French, the differences between the two Grammars. You also have to pass a Competitive Exam in order to teach in a Secondary School. This is difficult and even French Primary School teachers fail....
Some one will come along concerning teaching English to Adults. There are plenty of language schools in Paris, but as far as I understand, it's never full-time and badly paid.
The unemployment rate in France is very high and bilingual French Graduates are obliged to accept menial work in order to survive.
If you've never been to Paris, then go for an extended visit, and live, not as a tourist, but as if you were actually living there on a strict budget and counting your euros. I think you'll be in for a shock. It's not the romantic dreamland that "foreigners" imagine, the cost of day-to-day living is high and the Parisiens aren't friendly. I lived and worked there for several years at the beginning....
Enquire about work visas, come over for a holiday, take a course in French, then decide!
You're young and could go for it, but forget the tourist paradise side of Paris, it's a down-to-earth city for those who live there.

P.S. Post again on the France forum, you'll get more response, although there aren't many members living in Paris...
Thank you for your reply. I am debating where I wan't to live and work after I get my degree in English. I will be saving to travel to Paris before I make any decisions. Where are you from if I you don't mind me asking?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why not just visit Paris for the 90 days allowed without a visa if you have never visited the place?

That would surely give you enough time to find out about the city. You could get a short term vacation rental.
Thank you for your reply. I am going to save money and first visit Paris before I make any decisions. I really don't know anything about vistas because I have never traveled.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:20 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ParisDream
Thank you for your reply. I am debating where I wan't to live and work after I get my degree in English. I will be saving to travel to Paris before I make any decisions. Where are you from if I you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind you asking! I live in the Languedoc region, in the south of France (not to be confused with The South of France which usually means the Riviera to foreigners). In an earlier life I lived and worked in Paris and the Paris suburbs, and my elder daughter lived for a while in Paris but found it too stressful.
If you haven't already done so, come onto the France forum!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary