British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Moving from UK to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/moving-uk-canada-853362/)

Alimar1 Feb 25th 2015 8:46 am

Moving from UK to Canada

Hi there,

This is my very first post on the forum. My husband and I are right at the beginning of our journey to move from the UK to Canada. Life-changing decisions are about to be made!

We have been told that the best route for us would be for me to apply for a study visa so here goes, at the latter half of my forties I am looking to become a student again!

Although we are meeting with an immigration consultant today, I am thinking of undertaking the application process myself after reading comments on here...would also rather spend that money on more fact-finding trips to Canada.

My husband, son and I are going out to Vancouver Island this summer to stay with my good, childhood friend. This will be our first visit.

My son is in the middle of a Fisheries Management degree course in the UK and wants to live and work in Canada once he graduates.

So...I look forward to reading more of the invaluable and helpful posts of other forum members as well as getting to know you and learn about your own experiences.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to give me whilst I plough through the application process!

christmasoompa Feb 25th 2015 8:50 am

Re: Moving from UK to Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Definitely no need to use a consultant, particularly if you're going over on a study permit which is a very simple application - you son and his visa options may be more complex, but I still don't think you'd need to use a consultant necessarily.

Best of luck with it, do come and join us in the Canada forums and I'll hopefully see you there.

Alimar1 Feb 25th 2015 9:26 am

Thank you so much Christaoompa (sorry if this is misspelled, I can't see your name on this screen).

I've only been a member of BE for a few minutes and already I have received very helpful advice...the no immigration consultant route it is then!

Thank you and I look forward to more interesting discussions and learnings!

Alimar1 Feb 25th 2015 9:31 am

Sorry...it's Christmasoompa! :lol:

christmasoompa Feb 25th 2015 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Alimar1 (Post 11575868)
Sorry...it's Christmasoompa! :lol:

Yep, that's the one! Note the snazzy avatar that a fellow forum member did for me. :lol:

Good luck with your plans.

NessieOggy Mar 2nd 2015 7:24 pm

Hi Alimar1 & welcome to BE.

Vancouver Island is beautiful ... enjoy your visit this summer! :)

Oggy

Alimar1 Mar 2nd 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks Oggy!