Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving teenagers from USA to UK... Education?

Moving teenagers from USA to UK... Education?

Old Jul 30th 2015, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Expatwiththree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving teenagers from USA to UK... Education?

Hi,

We are British and have been living in USA for almost five years. We are planning a move back to the UK next year. Ours kids will be 16yrs....11th grade\ yr 12 next September 2016.

(We had planned to return for them to take up GCSE's but this did not become a feasible option at the time)

My concern is where will our kids fit into the British level of education.
I've trolled the internet looking for advice but have not found specific info.

I'm looking for anyone with experience?
I'm wondering if they would need to set back years to complete GCSE's?
Could they complete these in 6th from.
Does USA system correlate in any way to enable them to take up A levels.

Would an international school (USA) be an option? (Though cost may not be an option)
Can they transition from a USA school to university in UK???

My kids are smart, but have no grounding of the GCSE course.
Will this totally screw up their education?

As you can see I'm looking for any advice or experiences that you have had?
Old Jul 30th 2015, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving teenagers from USA to UK... Education?

Hi,

We moved back from Aus after nearly many years, our youngest went straight to 6th Form and studied an Advanced BTEC and also GCSE's in English, Maths, Science and in September he is starting his final year a University, he has had no problems with education except to his way of thinking (he was in top "forms" in Perth,W.A) and said the education in the UK was more advanced than W.A but as I said he did not have a problem. Good luck with everything, it is hard when you have to worry about your children's education, for me it was my main priority/concern and I now wish in hindsight lol that I had not worried as much as I did when we were planning our move back to the UK.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 1:19 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum

Suggest you ask some questions in the Moving Back to the UK section. That's where you'll find all the folks that are contemplating moving back.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Expatwiththree is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I thought I had posted there! Ha! New to this!
Old Jul 30th 2015, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

As you have opened a duplicate thread in the MBTTUK forum...I am closing this thread to avoid confusion.