British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Moving to spain before the start of the new school year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/moving-spain-before-start-new-school-year-931303/)

J4m3s Feb 24th 2020 7:45 am

Moving to spain before the start of the new school year

Hi my name is james, my family and I have decided we want to move to spain before my daughter starts secondary school in September but I have no real idea how to do so... our plan is that I will still be working in the uk doing a 2 week on 2 week off rotor and my other half will be looking after the house and our daughter in spain. Any information you can give on where is best to live for expats(that dont really speak Spanish yet),schools,renting a home and getting a Visa would be much appreciated. Thanks 🌞

mikelincs Feb 24th 2020 11:27 am

Re: Moving to spain before the start of the new school year

Welcome to BE.

We do ask all new members to have a quick read of the site rules, https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
If you do have any site related problems please contact one of our moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page.

Your question about where to live is almost impossible to answer given the limited information you have given, You would be better off asking the question, with more information in our Spain forum

https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/
The sort of information that would help would be budget, type of accomodation, will you need public transport etc.

If you are British you will still be moving under the EU Freedom of Movement rules so no visa needed, what might happen for you travelling after 1st Jan 2021 is still really unknown.

Joshua7 Mar 18th 2020 7:51 am

Hello James!tell the admin that I am not a spammer and just want to communicate in this community!
why am I a spammer and have my post deleted ?

christmasoompa Mar 18th 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Joshua7 (Post 12822704)
Hello James!tell the admin that I am not a spammer and just want to communicate in this community!
why am I a spammer and have my post deleted ?

Because you've posted utterly pointless posts in quick succession, as if you are a spammer just looking to put a website link in your 7th post (we get that a lot).

So if you are a genuine member, tell us about yourself and join in the forum properly rather than posting a few words repeatedly. What brings you to a forum for British Expats?

akshpatil Mar 30th 2020 2:36 pm

thanks.....

christmasoompa Mar 30th 2020 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by akshpatil (Post 12829490)
thanks.....

For what? Please introduce yourself properly, so we don't think you're just here to spam too! What brings you to the forum?

dmu Apr 9th 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by J4m3s (Post 12810901)
Hi my name is james, my family and I have decided we want to move to spain before my daughter starts secondary school in September but I have no real idea how to do so... our plan is that I will still be working in the uk doing a 2 week on 2 week off rotor and my other half will be looking after the house and our daughter in spain. Any information you can give on where is best to live for expats(that dont really speak Spanish yet),schools,renting a home and getting a Visa would be much appreciated. Thanks 🌞

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
As suggested, post again in the Spain forum, giving more information, but, meanwhile, there are two universal issues to consider:
- The general consensus on other European forums is that, unless you put your daughter in an International School with a British Curriculum (in case it doesn't turn out to be a permanent move), she is going to find it impossible to follow classes in a Spanish State School if she doesn't understand Spanish. At best, she should spend at least a year in Primary plus private tutor, to get used to the Spanish Education System and learn a minimum of Spanish Grammar and Culture, not to mention make friends during that time. From what I've observed, being thrown in at the deep end in a foreign secondary school with no knowledge of the language or culture would be too much for the whole family, as parents are expected to supervise/help out with the homework..... Maybe not a major point, but if your wife doesn't speak adequate Spanish, she's going to feel very isolated when you're in the UK. Could she cope with all the various schooling issues and local bureaucracy on her own?
- You would also have to consider your employment status, if you're employed by a UK company yet your family is resident in Spain. It isn't as simple as all that, particularly from the Social Security standpoint. You should research this issue - would your employers accept to "post" you to Spain (even though you'd return regularly to the UK to work) and pay Spanish S.S.Contributions, pr would they treat you as "self-employed", in which case you'd have to set up a business structure in Spain and pay your Contributions into the System that way..
You've "decided you want to move to Spain", but you've got a lot of research to do before you take the plunge, especially if you don't know where you'd be settling. With the present Crisis, you aren't likely to be able to visit areas and decide on a school by the enrolment deadline..
Sorry not to be more optimistic, but, "fore-warned is fore-armed";)
Post again in the Spain forum where those living on the spot will have more info than my general advice above. Good luck with your decision!:).

shaznmike Apr 10th 2020 7:09 pm

Hi, myself and my family are also moving to Spain for the start of the new school year. My son is due to start secondary also. We originally decided on Valencia with plenty of good schools, but I’ve accepted a job in Alicante. We’ve been surprised at how little there is to do. Most things can just be done on arrival in Spain.
good luck

Originally Posted by J4m3s (Post 12810901)

mikelincs Apr 11th 2020 6:58 am

Originally Posted by shaznmike (Post 12836676)
Hi, myself and my family are also moving to Spain for the start of the new school year. My son is due to start secondary also. We originally decided on Valencia with plenty of good schools, but I’ve accepted a job in Alicante. We’ve been surprised at how little there is to do. Most things can just be done on arrival in Spain.
good luck

Welcome to BE.

We do ask all new members to have a quick read of the site rules, https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
If you do have any site related problems please contact one of our moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page.

I see you have already found the Spain forum so I will just leave you to it.

dmu Apr 11th 2020 8:40 am

good luck

Hi, "James" hasn't come back on the forum since posting. You should post again on the Spain forum, this time concerning schooling. It would be interesting to know which school (International/Spanish State) your elder son is enrolled in, and why, in case the poster looks in again.
Good luck with your search for a rental, esp. as you can't come over to visit potential properties in the foreseeable future....

dmu Apr 11th 2020 3:46 pm

good luck

Hi again, I think I misunderstood "is due to start secondary..." as meaning that your son was already enrolled. From your "rental" post in the Spain forum, this can't be so, since you don't know where you'll be living yet. There again, depending on when Spanish confinement terminates and Freedom of Movement resumes, you won't have much time to look for a rental in an area which suits your own job and your two sons' different schools (presuming one will be going to Primary?). You should mention this issue on the Spain forum.... Also the fact that you aren't "legally bound", which may have an impact on your partner's healthcare coverage and other Administrative or legal issues (e.g. conditions for joint-tenancy). If you were moving to France, which isn't partner-friendly, these would be important factors....
HTH