Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving to Murcia/Ciudad Quesada area October 2012-needing lots of advice please!

Moving to Murcia/Ciudad Quesada area October 2012-needing lots of advice please!

Old May 21st 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Aliandk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Murcia/Ciudad Quesada area October 2012-needing lots of advice please!

Hello, I have just come across this website whilst searching for forums in Spain, and thought I would give it a try. My partner and I would like to move to the Murcia/ciudad quesada later this year. I am 46 and my partner has just retired. We have been together 28 years and really would like some advice on moving to Spain.
We want to long term rent in these areas, preferably a villa so family can visit so need some good websites or agents that we could contact.

We also need to know about medical insurance as obviously we will need it. I am right in thinking my partner will get state health cover due to him being over 65? Or will he need private too? What will I have to pay roughly and anyone know of good reputable companies to get this from?

Also, if we took our car over, is it easier than buying over in Spain or are we better off selling it in the uk and buying a scooter to get about?

Can someone also point out how to register for residency visas etc and any links regarding opening a Spanish bank account. Is it easier to keep our money in uk accounts and transfer to the Spanish account as and when we need too?

I know this is a lot of info and I don't have loads of time to search the Internet, so I am hoping someone who has, will help me out.

Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you all.
Old May 21st 2012, 1:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Murcia/Ciudad Quesada area October 2012-needing lots of advice please!

Originally Posted by Aliandk
Hello, I have just come across this website whilst searching for forums in Spain, and thought I would give it a try. My partner and I would like to move to the Murcia/ciudad quesada later this year. I am 46 and my partner has just retired. We have been together 28 years and really would like some advice on moving to Spain.
We want to long term rent in these areas, preferably a villa so family can visit so need some good websites or agents that we could contact.

We also need to know about medical insurance as obviously we will need it. I am right in thinking my partner will get state health cover due to him being over 65? Or will he need private too? What will I have to pay roughly and anyone know of good reputable companies to get this from?

Also, if we took our car over, is it easier than buying over in Spain or are we better off selling it in the uk and buying a scooter to get about?

Can someone also point out how to register for residency visas etc and any links regarding opening a Spanish bank account. Is it easier to keep our money in uk accounts and transfer to the Spanish account as and when we need too?

I know this is a lot of info and I don't have loads of time to search the Internet, so I am hoping someone who has, will help me out.

Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you all.

The good news is that if he is over 65 he will get free healthcare, and he should get form S1 from the DWP, and include yourself as his partner, then you will also get free healthcare, your age doesn't matter. I know this works for married couples, so would hope it also is true for unmarried ones.

In the current uncertainty about the Euro, you may want to keep most of your money in the UK, transferring only when needed.

If you are both from the UK, then no visa needed. You should get the help of a gestor when you get to Spain to do all the residencia details, it can be done yourself, but unless you are fluent in Spanish then using a professional is simpler.

For rentals I would suggest looking on Kyero.com or doing an internet search for rental in the area you want.

If you are moving permanently to Spain, then if you take your car you have to get it matriculated (transferred to Spanish registration), this can be fairly cheap, but also very expensive depending on the vehicle. Personally I would sell in the UK and buy something out there.

Opening a Spanish bank account is simple, unless they have changed regulations recently, all you used to need was your passport.

You will find lots of information on the Spain part of the forum, especially in the 'free beer' thread, which is just to give people info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

most of your questions will have come up before, so a search of the forum will show you a lot of the answers to any questions.
Old May 21st 2012, 3:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Murcia/Ciudad Quesada area October 2012-needing lots of advice please!

I would add that you now have to prove that you have a certain level of income when you arrive in Spain and apply for your "resident" certificate. Go on to the Spanish forum and you'll find out more there

Welcome to the forum