Reload this Page >

Moving to Guadaloupe

Moving to Guadaloupe

Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Nicegran is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Guadaloupe

Hi everyone,
It's my first time. My hubby and I are seriously considering a move to the Butterfly islands of Guadaloupe in the Caribbean. I am 63 the other half is 65. We are both UK Citizens. Are there any UK ex pats out there who can give me any info on cost of living, house prices, language spoken, businesses and especially visa's?
Any info would be great
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Guadaloupe

Hello there and welcome to the forum

Sounds like an exciting move. If you go to the main index page of this forum and scroll down to Rest of the World, you'll see a tab for Caribbean.....and that's the best place for you to ask some questions. I have no idea if we have any forum posters in Guadeloupe but there's one way to find out.

Happy planning
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:14 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicegran
Hi everyone,
It's my first time. My hubby and I are seriously considering a move to the Butterfly islands of Guadaloupe in the Caribbean. I am 63 the other half is 65. We are both UK Citizens. Are there any UK ex pats out there who can give me any info on cost of living, house prices, language spoken, businesses and especially visa's?
Any info would be great
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Guadaloupe being an Overseas Département of France, they speak French and have more or less the same Laws as in France. I presume you wouldn't need visa's, since it's theoretically in the EU (but check on that at your nearest French Consulate!).
Can't help re cost of living, but it must be high as many things are imported, as is the unemployment rate. Much higher than in Continental France, in turn higher than the UK.
You could post again in the France forum, but AFAIK there aren't any BE members in Guadaloupe. You'd do better to enquire at the French Consulate, as the other Caribbean islands, except for Martinique, have their own laws, rules and regulations....
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Guadaloupe being an Overseas Département of France, they speak French and have more or less the same Laws as in France. I presume you wouldn't need visa's, since it's theoretically in the EU (but check on that at your nearest French Consulate!).
Can't help re cost of living, but it must be high as many things are imported, as is the unemployment rate. Much higher than in Continental France, in turn higher than the UK.
You could post again in the France forum, but AFAIK there aren't any BE members in Guadaloupe. You'd do better to enquire at the French Consulate, as the other Caribbean islands, except for Martinique, have their own laws, rules and regulations....
Guadaloupe is part of France and therefore the EU so no need for a visa. We come and go to sister Martinique at will on our UK passports and when in Martinique en-route to Paris are on a domestic flight.

They speak French in Martinique and Guadaloupe but they also speak Lesser Antilles Creole French Patois* which is a blend of French and African dialects. In our experience, they do not really speak much English.

*Also spoken in Haiti, Dominica, St Lucia and Grenada. In the country(side) of St Lucia, more people speak patois -than English - as their first language and I would think it the same in the French islands.

Best (cheapest and nicest) way to reach Guadaloupe from Europe is on the French Caribbean carrier out of Paris Orly - Air Caraibes.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 13th 2014 at 1:45 pm. Reason: In our experience, they do not really speak much English.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Nicegran is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I already feel part of the family!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicegran
Thanks everyone, I already feel part of the family!
I was guilty of this one too - GuadEloupe is the French Island.

The Guadalupes are mostly in the States.

BTW, Ferry service (on top of air service) connects St Lucia, Martinique, Dominica and Guadeloupe, plus the Saintes Iles and Marie Galante.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 13th 2014 at 4:10 pm. Reason: (on top of air service)
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I was guilty of this one too - GuadEloupe is the French Island.

The Guadalupes are mostly in the States.

BTW, Ferry service (on top of air service) connects St Lucia, Martinique, Dominica and Guadeloupe, plus the Saintes Iles and Marie Galante.
Oooops, I didn't notice either!!
If the Guadalupes (which I've never heard of) are in the States, then the OP should post again on the USA forum....
.... but having just checked, they seem to be Mexican and on the Pacific side....
Can the OP specify exactly where they are thinking of moving to?

Last edited by dmu; Jan 13th 2014 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Oooops, I didn't notice either!!
If the Guadalupes (which I've never heard of) are in the States, then the OP should post again on the USA forum....
OP wanted butterfly island in the Caribbean - That's Guadeloupe.

There are Guadalupes all over former Spanish America incl Mexico but the island named by Columbus, after the same Virgin Mary (Our lady of Guadalupe), is spelled - now by the French - differently. It is actually named after a particular spot named for Our Lady - Guadalupe in Extremadura so it seems - important trivia there.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jan 13th 2014 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
OP wanted butterfly island in the Caribbean - That's Guadeloupe.
OK, so it was a typo in the title and it is the French Département Guadeloupe
I repeat my recommendation to consult the French Consulate or google for info on the questions that haven't been answered. The OP should also check that their healthcare coverage as EU retirees stretches over the Atlantic.
Sorry can't help more!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
OK, so it was a typo in the title and it is the French Département Guadeloupe
I repeat my recommendation to consult the French Consulate or google for info on the questions that haven't been answered. The OP should also check that their healthcare coverage as EU retirees stretches over the Atlantic.
Sorry can't help more!
UK Gov has this for Martinique, so it also applies for Guadeloupe:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...tinique/health