Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

How on earth did you all do it?

How on earth did you all do it?

Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:18 am
Just Joined

kamcgeehan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How on earth did you all do it?

Hi all... Newbie here.

Currently UK based, I've pretty much decided to up sticks and take on a new challenge overseas. I'm not that fussy and am sure that I can satisfy VISA requirements for most appointments, but I would like somewhere safe, English speaking (although I could get by in Spanish) and somewhere my wife could join me. Ive no other ties and no real intention of taking anything with me. Happy to sell house, car and everything else, not that it will make me much money in this economy) because I want Life experience, not stuff!

I would think that my skillset of Insurance Professional and trainer would make me reasonably employable. Insurance appears in various forms on emigration lists as does trainer and I'm not fussy which I continue my career on but I'm having some bother finding the jobs to start with!

So... back to my original question... How did you all do it?

I've not doubt that this kind of post appears all the time... so sorry if it's all a bit "Samey" for you. but it will help me a lot.

Many thanks

Kieran.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How on earth did you all do it?

Originally Posted by kamcgeehan
Hi all... Newbie here.

Currently UK based, I've pretty much decided to up sticks and take on a new challenge overseas. I'm not that fussy and am sure that I can satisfy VISA requirements for most appointments, but I would like somewhere safe, English speaking (although I could get by in Spanish) and somewhere my wife could join me. Ive no other ties and no real intention of taking anything with me. Happy to sell house, car and everything else, not that it will make me much money in this economy) because I want Life experience, not stuff!

I would think that my skillset of Insurance Professional and trainer would make me reasonably employable. Insurance appears in various forms on emigration lists as does trainer and I'm not fussy which I continue my career on but I'm having some bother finding the jobs to start with!

I've not doubt that this kind of post appears all the time... so sorry if it's all a bit "Samey" for you. but it will help me a lot.

Many thanks

Kieran.

Hi Kieran - I went the skilled migrant route - found my occupation on the skills list, looked if I could pass the points test (which changed a few times). Did skills assessment and IELTS for points, and with state sponsorship got our visa - that's the very abbreviated version
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all... Newbie here.

Many thanks

Kieran.

Your first step is to decide which country you would like to move to, unless you or your wife are US citizens, then I would cross the US off your list as it is one of the most difficult countries to get to.
This would leave Aus, NZ or Canada as the most likely. so go to the specific country forums, look at the information there on getting visas, look at the WIKI for that country {blue bar at top of page}. Have a look at the posts in the forums for those countries, see what other peoples thought about living and working there ae, there is a wealth of info available.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 12:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kieran ....just to say welcome to the forum. I cannot add to the good advice you've already received above. Hope something works out.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as already stated first you need where you qualify for a visa to enable you to move and work and go from there. If the visa looks achievable then read up on the forums of the pros and cons of the country and see if you still want to make an attempt of gaining a visa for yourself and wife.

If you need help on points required for visa then post in the relevant countries forum and those members will be able to assist you,

good luck
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

sun67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

The way we did it, was just to take each day as it comes - deal with what needs doing now, and leave the rest for tomorrow. Moving is such a stressful thing at the best of times, especially with two children, and relocating to a different country is not easy. Write lists, and then more lists, and do your research! Wishing you the best of luck!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:38 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I met a New Zealander so moved over. However we were unable to use the partnership route due to us living in different countries.
I moved as a Skilled Migrant under my own steam. I was lucky that I had enough points in the right categories that I could go down that route, otherwise, well it might not have happened.
I would not have emigrated if it wasn't for the kiwi, I was quite happy in the UK.

MrsF's advice is good. Look at where you want to go and look at the visa options for each. Your chances of getting a visa will vary from country to country.
P
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

. I'm sure that I can satisfy VISA requirements for most appointments, [...]

Hi Keiran,

Good for you!!

Someone will likely be along shortly to tell you the difference between VISA & a visa ;-)

I'm sure you are researching visa requirements & opportunities, however, that was not your question.

How did I do it? In no particular order :

Hong Kong (pre-handover): moved, got ID card, worked, left. (Great experience, would go back)

Australia: applied for 1year working visa, got approved, moved, worked, left (I did not enjoy the experience, & have no desire to revisit)

France: applied for & got job, moved, got carte de sejour, worked, had 2 children, left (in spite of some unpleasant & difficult circumstances, I liked living in France & would consider returning)

Canada: applied for PR, via Quebec, got it, moved, found a job, had a child, struggled to find jobs, still here (don't dislike it, but considering moving on)

:-) YMMV, & I'm sure lots of other people's will too ;-)

Just my answer....