Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving to Charleston South Carolina

Moving to Charleston South Carolina

Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Charleston South Carolina

We are relocating with my husband's firm for a few years to Charleston South Carolina from the UK. We have 3 kids (5,7,9 1/2) and would like to know what area to live in for the best public schools. We will be doing the relocation ourselves as the business he works for is a small private firm so any tips/ideas would be really helpful. Also thoughts on renting/buying if you have any.

Thanks so much for your help
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:09 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Charleston South Carolina

Hi Newadventure

Welcome to BE. You have certainly come to th right place for help and information.
It would be really worth your while taking a look at our USA forum, where there are lots of expats living and working in the USA, including in the area you are moving to. You will find this forum by clicking on the 'Forum index' button on the pink bar at the top of this page. Scroll down th list of countries and double click on USA nad you're in.
There is some fabulous information about visas and moving etc on there, as well as plenty of good folks to answer any questions you have to help make your move go smoothly - and you will be making friends along the way which can't be bad.

If you find you need a bit of help navigating th site, just pop up here and let us know.

Good luck with everything

Dread - x
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
We are relocating with my husband's firm for a few years to Charleston South Carolina from the UK. We have 3 kids (5,7,9 1/2) and would like to know what area to live in for the best public schools. We will be doing the relocation ourselves as the business he works for is a small private firm so any tips/ideas would be really helpful. Also thoughts on renting/buying if you have any.

Welcome aboard!

You've certainly come to the right place for tips and ideas about moving to SC. We have several members living in SC...I'm sure they will help you with tips and advice about the area...or indeed about moving to the US in general.

I'll give you a few links to get you started...firstly if you have any questions about your US visa...the US Immigration and Visas forum is the place to ask. You will get lots of good advice from the regulars who post in there. General questions about life in the US should be posted in the US Forum..ie schools etc. The Trailer Park is for general chit chat.

Please take time to take a look in the BE Wiki...it's a great source for information. Also please read through any stickied threads that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Meauxna, Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums. Good luck with the move.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Friends are just leaving Charleston after living there for four years. It is a VERY religious place according to them.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:23 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Friends are just leaving Charleston after living there for four years. It is a VERY religious place according to them.
Yep, that's all over NC and SC. We're in the Bible Belt don't you know ....
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Yep, that's all over NC and SC. We're in the Bible Belt don't you know ....
Rather you than me...I have enough with God being mentioned every time politicians opens their mouths. Separation of church and state indeed.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure

Hi newadventure,

Welcome to BE, so glad to have you on board.

I can't help with best areas to live or schools or anything as I don't live in SC, I live in North Carolina just north of where you will be. However I bet you will love Charleston, I visit it often and is one of my most favourite places; you've got countryside, beach, rivers, history and lots in between.

I know we do have some members down in that area though so when you get a mo pop over to the USA forums and say hi.