Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

MOVING TO CANADA!!! <HOPEFULLY!!!>

MOVING TO CANADA!!! <HOPEFULLY!!!>

Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

MMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really nice
Default MOVING TO CANADA!!! <HOPEFULLY!!!>

Hi everyone,

Im looking for advice/help etc on moving from Scotland to Canada (Edmonton to be more exact).
I was originally going to apply for a Skilled Workers Visa, lease my home out in Aberdeen for a bit of extra money each month, rent property in Edmonton etc.... my problem so far has been the securing a job offer in Edmonton. With not knowing how long it would take to be granted a visa, I cant tell potential employers when I would be able to start.

So I then though (and would prefer) to just completely sell up here and apply for full immigration. BUT im so so desperate to get out of the UK, I dont know how long its going to take to find out whether ive been accepted or not. I ccant bear the thought of being stuck here for many more months!

Also in order to prove to the CIC that I have the required funds in my account - I will have to sell my property first... which is a little awkward seeing as I then am homeless until I know whether I have been granted a VIsa or not !?

Very confused.... the Canadian Embassy in London were no help to me whatso ever when I called them for advice.

Cant stress enough how desperate I am to leave the UK! ASAP!!!

Please Help! Damsel In distress!!!!!!

Shelly.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO CANADA!!! <HOPEFULLY!!!>

Originally Posted by MMountain
Hi everyone,

Im looking for advice/help etc on moving from Scotland to Canada (Edmonton to be more exact).
I was originally going to apply for a Skilled Workers Visa, lease my home out in Aberdeen for a bit of extra money each month, rent property in Edmonton etc.... my problem so far has been the securing a job offer in Edmonton. With not knowing how long it would take to be granted a visa, I cant tell potential employers when I would be able to start.

So I then though (and would prefer) to just completely sell up here and apply for full immigration. BUT im so so desperate to get out of the UK, I dont know how long its going to take to find out whether ive been accepted or not. I ccant bear the thought of being stuck here for many more months!

Also in order to prove to the CIC that I have the required funds in my account - I will have to sell my property first... which is a little awkward seeing as I then am homeless until I know whether I have been granted a VIsa or not !?

Very confused.... the Canadian Embassy in London were no help to me whatso ever when I called them for advice.

Cant stress enough how desperate I am to leave the UK! ASAP!!!

Please Help! Damsel In distress!!!!!!

Shelly.

Welcome to BE Shelly.

This is the link to our Canada forum. You will see there is an Immigration forum...regulars who post in there may be able to help you about specific immigration questions. Any questions you have about day to day life in Canada should be posted in the Canada General Forum and the Maple Leaf forum is for general chit chat. Hopefully you will find a treasure of info in those forums.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

MMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really nice

Thanks JerseyGirl!

Ive wasted 5 years wanting to leave the uk for Canada, but just never went ahead and did it... but now im so miserable here its beyond a joke!
Searching high and low for the chance at a job offer for fulltime work (im a chef).
I think if I go for the temporary workers visa at least I can get there soon!
Get there, then go for the full whack! No intention of coming back to Scotland at all.
All help, advice and knowledge of jobs on the go.. please shout!!!!
x
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:36 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly as you feel as I have wasted about the same amount of time wanting to leave but not feeling brave enough to do anything about it....and also being ignornat of my choices - how stupid can you get!!!!
You will see on the Canada forum that there is a lot of info but I can also tell you right now that I am pretty sure that you can show the equity in your house as proof of funds and then once you get your PR, you will need to prove the funds are availiable on "landing" - unless of course you manage to secure a job offer first.
So we are showing the equity as proof of funds on our application and then selling the house to "land"
Hope this make sense, welcome and make sure you read ALOT on the wiki and this forum, you can search on any aspect that you are unsure of, its a mine of info!

Good luck!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Also - make sure you are on "the list" of 38 eligible occupations for Federal skilled worker visa. It takes less than a year to get that now, as long as you are on the list and have the right amount of points...

Again - take a look at the wiki (in blue bar at the top)- Canada Immigration - a quick guide
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Great help regards the funds!!!!

yeah i feel stupid now that I never went when I originally wanted to... i gave it up for a partner who didnt want to move. Silly silly girl!

Im not 'at home' here in Aberdeen. Not at all.

Im a Chef with nearly 10 years experience and I also do pass the points system ( checked that first!).

How long am I liable to have to wait to get a Federal Skilled Workers Visa !?
I have a friend who applied for her temporary skilled workers visa 5 weeks ago... she got her visa through today. Yes, i am green with envy!

As you are selling up, I take it you have gone for the full immigration ??
How long has the whole process taken you ??

Shelly.
x
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How long am I liable to have to wait to get a Federal Skilled Workers Visa !?
I have a friend who applied for her temporary skilled workers visa 5 weeks ago... she got her visa through today. Yes, i am green with envy!
Do you mean a Bunac visa? Or a temporary work permit? Bunac is very quick, but the program has closed for this year, and a temporary work permit can be quick too, but you first need a LMO which can take months and months.

So as per the advice in the Canada forum, you'd be better off applying as a Skilled Worker as it takes about the same amount of time to get a Temp Work Permit (or even less time as it can often take a year or two to get that all important job offer!), and gives you Permanent Residency straight away.

Anyway, shout in the Canada forum with any questions.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you mean a Bunac visa? Or a temporary work permit? Bunac is very quick, but the program has closed for this year, and a temporary work permit can be quick too, but you first need a LMO which can take months and months.

So as per the advice in the Canada forum, you'd be better off applying as a Skilled Worker as it takes about the same amount of time to get a Temp Work Permit (or even less time as it can often take a year or two to get that all important job offer!), and gives you Permanent Residency straight away.

Anyway, shout in the Canada forum with any questions.
Yeah it was the Temp Work Permit she went for! I about fell over when she called me today to say she got it! I thought that was really quick ?!
Been job hunting for a good year now. Fingers crossed something comes up soon!
Il be shouting questions for sure! Just seem to have hit a bit of a wall just now in the confidence side of things as well, as im sure lots of people do! Just got that "is it ever going to happen" feeling just now! a bit blue
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it was the Temp Work Permit she went for! I about fell over when she called me today to say she got it! I thought that was really quick ?!
Been job hunting for a good year now. Fingers crossed something comes up soon!
Il be shouting questions for sure! Just seem to have hit a bit of a wall just now in the confidence side of things as well, as im sure lots of people do! Just got that "is it ever going to happen" feeling just now! a bit blue
That is quick, TWP's usually take around 8 weeks, but as I said, it's the LMO which is the bit that can take much more time.

Obviously you don't need a job offer to apply for a visa, but to help your job hunt it might be worth you having a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page, just click on Canada and you'll find loads of useful info).

for you.