Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada

Moving to Canada

Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:55 pm
Hez
Just Joined

Hez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada

Hi there. Me and my husband are looking to return to Canada and wondered if any ex Brits living there can tell us the true state of the economy. Currently living and working in UK and it is not so good here.

Would be grateful for any update can be provided.

Thanks
Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Canada is such a huge place that really, it varies province by province.

But as a very rough guide, it's about the same as in the UK - not long out of recession but things are picking up.

HTH, hope to see you in the Canada forums sometime.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:37 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hez,

Welcome to BE!!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:53 pm
Hez
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Christmasoompa. Good to hear things are picking up. We did live and work previously in Saskatoon but needed to return home due to family issues, now hopefully looking to return. May I ask which province you are based in? Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hez
Thanks for the advice Christmasoompa. Good to hear things are picking up. We did live and work previously in Saskatoon but needed to return home due to family issues, now hopefully looking to return. May I ask which province you are based in? Thanks
I'm not based in any province any longer, I'm back in the UK! Canada's a great country but the UK just works better for my family for various reasons.

But head on over to the Canada forums and you'll soon find lots of useful info. Things will have changed a lot since you were there in 2007 as that was during the boom years. But there's still good opportunities if you have an occupation in demand, although your UK money won't go nearly as far as it will have done the first time around. Damn the exchange rate!

Visa requirements have also changed massively since those days, so you'll need to see if you are still eligible for a visa too.

Good luck with it.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:54 pm
Hez
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice. Will look into.

Whereabouts were you based in Canada?

Have checked out and see that my husband (truck driver) is still on the list so will look into further.

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Hez
Have checked out and see that my husband (truck driver) is still on the list so will look into further.
Still on the list? Truck drivers aren't I'm afraid, these are the list of eligible occupations for FSW, assuming that's the list you're referring to of course - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...pand=jobs#jobs
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:11 pm
Hez
Just Joined

Thanks for this. However, it may be the PNP Program that we enter.

Stay in touch
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Hez
Thanks for this. However, it may be the PNP Program that we enter.

Stay in touch
Ah, ok. No 'list' for PNP then. There's only a few provinces where a trucker can get PR via the PNP, so make sure you head for one of them!

Good luck with it.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:00 pm
Hez
Just Joined

Thanks will do