Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from South Africa

Moving back to UK from South Africa

Old Dec 16th 2013, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

JoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud of
Post Moving back to UK from South Africa

Hi there!
We (me, hubby and 2 kids) are returning to the UK after nearly 10 years in South Africa.
The house is sold and awaiting transfer, given notice on our jobs, and told family and friends. Some understand, some don't but ultimately after a great adventure, it is time to go home
I can't wait, we went back last year for the first time on 8 years and I thought we would feel like strangers, but we just felt at home. People understood us and we laughed like we haven't laughed in years
So come spring 2014 we will be back!!!
I have read posts from these forums for advise in making the decision, but this is the first time I have posted
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from South Africa

Originally Posted by JoburgMum
Hi there!
We (me, hubby and 2 kids) are returning to the UK after nearly 10 years in South Africa.
The house is sold and awaiting transfer, given notice on our jobs, and told family and friends. Some understand, some don't but ultimately after a great adventure, it is time to go home
I can't wait, we went back last year for the first time on 8 years and I thought we would feel like strangers, but we just felt at home. People understood us and we laughed like we haven't laughed in years
So come spring 2014 we will be back!!!
I have read posts from these forums for advise in making the decision, but this is the first time I have posted
Welcome to the forums JoburgMum

Hope you find all the help you need to make the move as easy as possible - shout if you need a hand

And good luck
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Good Luck and Enjoy!.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 11:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

JoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud ofJoburgMum has much to be proud of

Thank you for the warm welcome, and will shout if I need help!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

This comment by you rang true for us as well
"we went back last year for the first time on 8 years and I thought we would feel like strangers, but we just felt at home. People understood us and we laughed like we haven't laughed in years" only it was 7 years for us. Good luck with your move and hope its everything you wish for.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 11:07 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your last Summer braai at Christmas !
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks, although Christmas hasn't been the same since we moved out here. Something much more festive about it being cold outside and the heating cranked up inside!!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:27 am
Just Joined

flintstones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi We are also moving back to England, after our dreams were taken from us over here in South Africa. Will our TV work over there, and with the rand to high against the pound any suggestions on how to get our money back there without having more money stolen from us any tips or pointers would be great. Cant wait to go back, but got some good memories of our time over here. Thanks Enola
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi Flintstones. We haven't got to the point of transferring money just yet so am also wondering. Especially with exchange being a bit rubbish. My father-in-law (who lives here but is English) has used 'Currencyfair' a few times now and got a better deal. I don't know how trustworthy these online Forex people are and seems risky if it's your life savings. I know with emigrating we have to get tax clearance certificate from SARS and Reserve Bank apparently before we can take our money out so not sure how that will work just yet. I just hope exchange rate improves before April when we go!
Good luck with your move
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flintstones
Hi We are also moving back to England, after our dreams were taken from us over here in South Africa. Will our TV work over there, and with the rand to high against the pound any suggestions on how to get our money back there without having more money stolen from us any tips or pointers would be great. Cant wait to go back, but got some good memories of our time over here. Thanks Enola
https://exchange4free.co.za/

Have used them to transfer from S.A. to Oz and UK to Oz and Oz to S.A.

They have served us well.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Alfresco!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JoburgMum
Thanks Alfresco!
You're welcome.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary