Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK after 18 years in US

Moving back to UK after 18 years in US

Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Vanessa_GA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK after 18 years in US

Hello all! I (UK citizen) will be moving back to the UK in July with my US husband and our two adult children (dual citizens). My husband works for the DoD and has finally landed a job in the UK after trying for three years. During that time this site has been a valuable source of information & inspiration for me. We've been married for nearly 29 years and have spent the last 18 of them in the US, but I've never felt settled here (to put it mildly). I'm very excited to be going home, but expecting a bit of culture shock. I don't have any specific concerns or questions at the moment, mainly because I'm completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work involved (getting house ready to sell etc) in order to escape.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK after 18 years in US

Originally Posted by Vanessa_GA
Hello all! I (UK citizen) will be moving back to the UK in July with my US husband and our two adult children (dual citizens). My husband works for the DoD and has finally landed a job in the UK after trying for three years. During that time this site has been a valuable source of information & inspiration for me. We've been married for nearly 29 years and have spent the last 18 of them in the US, but I've never felt settled here (to put it mildly). I'm very excited to be going home, but expecting a bit of culture shock. I don't have any specific concerns or questions at the moment, mainly because I'm completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work involved (getting house ready to sell etc) in order to escape.
Welcome to BE Vanessa.

I am pleased you have come out of the shadows and have joined our cyber community.

Like you...I lived in the US for 18 years but never felt settled. You are lucky your adult children are moving with you...many decide their lives are now in their adopted country.

If you have any site related problems please give me a shout. Good luck with the move.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jerseygirl. I'm a shy person in real life & online, so it's a big deal for me to have finally posted here.
My adult children haven't fared very well in the US, both unemployed & without health insurance, so at least the latter will be better in the UK. As you know, 18 years is a long time to be away, so I'm sure there will be some challenges.
Thanks again for the kind welcome!
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 2:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... My adult children haven't fared very well in the US, both unemployed & without health insurance, so at least the latter will be better in the UK. .....
Without qualifications readily recognized in the UK (do they even have degrees?) it is likely to be tough in the UK for them to find employment. Don't be surprising if they decide fairly quickly that, despite the drawbacks, they would be better off back in the US.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Without qualifications readily recognized in the UK (do they even have degrees?) it is likely to be tough in the UK for them to find employment. Don't be surprising if they decide fairly quickly that, despite the drawbacks, they would be better off back in the US.

They both have associate's degrees, but realise the employment situation in the UK is likely no better than the US. Have you ever been without health insurance here? It's a huge concern for us & a major factor in our decision to leave.
Also, my "kids" have English attitudes, in spite of their accents. So, I don't think it's going to be a bed of roses by any stretch, but I'm quite sure they'll be happier there.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 10:47 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Thank you very much Rosemary! I really like your sig line.