Reload this Page >

Moving abroad with family member who needs care

Moving abroad with family member who needs care

Old Sep 4th 2016, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Simon7250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving abroad with family member who needs care

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding living and working abroad but also with the aim of taking my brother who needs care. I am a nurse so work wise i plan to work abroad in that profession in countries such as Australia or UAE, maybe NZ if can get in.

I should be able to get a job but my main worry is my brother. If i move abroad he has to come with me. I want him to be there. He just needs a carer or someone who can keep an eye on him when i am at work. He had a encephalitis a few years back and this resulted in him loosing his memory. Over the years hehas improved but he can't work or be left on his own for too long. He has a good long term memory just not a good short term.

He is fine in washing himself, knowing when to get up and when to take his medications as this is now a learned experience.

My worry is if i did movr abroad i need someone to just be with him during the time i am at work. I basically need a baby sitter but long term. I would be happy to pay.

My main questions are:

Could this be done?

Do you think this is unrealistic?

My mum and i look after him at the mo but one day it will be me who cares for him. For now i will do what i can with my career to work abroad but i would like him to live abroad even of it's just for a year. I know he would have done this is he was okay now. He hasn't had much of a life and i intend to take him all over the world, albeit bit by bit. I love travel and i think he will like it too.

Anyway thanks for reading this and your thoughts are much appreciated.

Simon
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving abroad with family member who needs care

Originally Posted by Simon7250
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding living and working abroad but also with the aim of taking my brother who needs care. I am a nurse so work wise i plan to work abroad in that profession in countries such as Australia or UAE, maybe NZ if can get in.

I should be able to get a job but my main worry is my brother. If i move abroad he has to come with me. I want him to be there. He just needs a carer or someone who can keep an eye on him when i am at work. He had a encephalitis a few years back and this resulted in him loosing his memory. Over the years hehas improved but he can't work or be left on his own for too long. He has a good long term memory just not a good short term.

He is fine in washing himself, knowing when to get up and when to take his medications as this is now a learned experience.

My worry is if i did movr abroad i need someone to just be with him during the time i am at work. I basically need a baby sitter but long term. I would be happy to pay.

My main questions are:

Could this be done?

Do you think this is unrealistic?

My mum and i look after him at the mo but one day it will be me who cares for him. For now i will do what i can with my career to work abroad but i would like him to live abroad even of it's just for a year. I know he would have done this is he was okay now. He hasn't had much of a life and i intend to take him all over the world, albeit bit by bit. I love travel and i think he will like it too.

Anyway thanks for reading this and your thoughts are much appreciated.

Simon
Hi Simon,

A permanent move to Australia would be virtually a non-starter I'm afraid.
For your brother to accompany you here, firstly he would need to be totally financially dependent on you; at present your mum cares for him, plus the UK has a welfare state safety net, so that rules out financial dependency.
Secondly he would need to pass the same medical that you would have to pass, and I very much doubt that would be possible with his conditon,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and by all means contact an agent for a second opinion but I can't see any way he would pass the medical.