Movin' on

Old May 28th 2010, 9:19 am
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of
Default Movin' on

I'm glad I've found you, maybe if I'd known about you during the past few years I might have not stressed quite so much about life here in France - there is so much information to be found here! Anyway, we're about to 'up-sticks' and move to the USA - rather sooner than would normally be comfortable, but I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe I can pass on some of my accrued knowledge from here and learn from those already over there.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movin' on

Hello there White-isRose and welcome to BE. Am I correct in assuming you're originally from Yorkshire?

I'm glad you've found us too and hopefully we will be able to make your move to the US a little easier. I wish BE had been around when I moved here in '96...it would have certainly have helped me. IMO it helps to overcome that feeling of isolation and homesickness if there are fellow Brits on hand to chat and have a laugh with. There is a wealth of information available in our US Forums...why don't you pop over there and take a look around?

As you're currently living in France you may also be interested in our France Forums.

Good luck with your impending move.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 28th 2010 at 9:47 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 5:34 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!
Old May 31st 2010, 12:51 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Hello there White-isRose and welcome to BE. Am I correct in assuming you're originally from Yorkshire?

I'm glad you've found us too and hopefully we will be able to make your move to the US a little easier. I wish BE had been around when I moved here in '96...it would have certainly have helped me. IMO it helps to overcome that feeling of isolation and homesickness if there are fellow Brits on hand to chat and have a laugh with. There is a wealth of information available in our US Forums...why don't you pop over there and take a look around?

As you're currently living in France you may also be interested in our France Forums.

Good luck with your impending move.
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am originally from Yorkshire, although not lived there in more years than I care to think about... I have heard a rumour, not sure if it's malicious or not, that currants are not available in the US. How on earth am I going to make Yorkshire Curd Tart without them?!!! Perhaps I should ask this question to a general forum and see how many snide / sarcastic / caustic comments I get back.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose View Post
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am originally from Yorkshire, although not lived there in more years than I care to think about... I have heard a rumour, not sure if it's malicious or not, that currants are not available in the US. How on earth am I going to make Yorkshire Curd Tart without them?!!! Perhaps I should ask this question to a general forum and see how many snide / sarcastic / caustic comments I get back.

It's been too many years for me too...I moved from Sheffield when I was 20 to live in Cheshire.

You're correct you should ask questions like that in the US Forum. The British sarcastic sense of humour is rife on the forums...just laugh it off. The humour is something I dearly miss about the UK. Most of us get on well with each other...but like real life there are bound to be those you don't like or disagree with. My advice would be to sit back and watch...get to know the personalities before you jump in at the deep end. There is a little something called the 'Ignore Function'...you can put someone on ignore and not see their posts or receive their PM's. Sometimes things are not all that they seem...what may look like a brutal argument is often just old friends taking the p*ss out of each other.

Anyway to answer your question I don't know. I do know if you ask for sultanas at the store you will get a blank look. If I remember correctly they are called Golden Raisins...the ones I bought seem to be a mixture of currents, raisins and sultanas.