British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Looking for a bit of guidance. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/looking-bit-guidance-831285/)

WildfireV2 Apr 14th 2014 6:12 pm

Looking for a bit of guidance.

Hello all.

I am new in the forums as a member, however I have read various articles from here over the years, for various reasons, whether they be reassurance or what not.

Recently I have found myself completely disheartened & lacking all direction in my life with what seems a shattering end to aspirations I once had.

I graduated last summer with a 2:2 in Accounting, this wasn't through a lack of intellect, more so a lack of motivation due to two circumstances:

- I got accepted into CCSU for a year of study abroad, but when it came to the financing, because I have no contact with my mum, & my dad lives in spain, it took far too long with the whole processing of documents & I essentially missed my window at something I dreamed of.

- A relative (Grandfather) died going into my second year, the same time as I missed the opportunity for study abroad. Honestly my attendance that year was awful, 5% in some classes & I barely scraped through.

I live in a small town in the North west of the UK, about 30 minutes train journey from Manchester & after graduation, I just seemed to have little luck at getting job prospects, partly because I was applying to things beyond my CV, & some other reasons too.

I made a few big mistakes when I was late teens, (going to the wrong university on a course that was brand new, far away from home and living alone, and basically pissed it up the wall & quit at the end of the year, forcing me to come home & work as a lifeguard for 2 years & immediately sign up for University at Uclan in 2010.

Now my situation is this... I'm 24 years old, (25 in September), I have always dreamed of living in the US, or Canada but obviously I the ideal dream is California however impossible. I have no attachments of any kind but at this point barely any money either. I am currently on a work placement for 8 weeks as an accounts assistant, but its really just been data entry and nothing else so far. There is a possible job at the end, which I am unsure if I will accept, because I have to travel 1 hour 20 minutes on 3 trains each way, waking up at 5 30 am everyday and having little downtime at night for basically no money right now ( Voluntary work placement supported by the job centre).

I have considered looking at ACCA or ACA (Scared of the limitations a 2:2 presents) But I am also afraid of committing 3 years of my life to something I have no idea if its the right choice, if im capable etc.

I have always been an intelligent guy, but especially in university type education, let things distract me, maybe sometimes got lazy and other things, So I am not 100% sure of my capability as far as ACCA or ACA goes, I think with effort I could definitely do it, but I am unsure whether my heart will still be in it 2 years down the line when I am still in the same small town with nothing going on.

My only real aspiration was living & working in the US, I never really thought about the ways I would make it happen apart from becoming a chartered accountant, but when I see that even when qualified its virtually impossible, I just do not know what to do, which way to turn & how to keep a positive mental state.

This 8 week placement right now is horrible & everyday travelling there I feel numb, but as times are tough, I figured I need to at least have some kind of experience to go on my CV.

Apologies for the long introduction, I am just struggling to put a positive spin on things, or motivate myself.

Edit: I should also add, that as I am being brutally honest, I have always had a huge interest in video games, & looking back maybe I should have pursued something in that field, but Video games are something I have played a lot since a young age & certainly to the detriment of my grades sometimes. I still have 320 UCas points & a B in Maths, Science & C in English I think, with other GCSEs too.

There are plenty of local accounting firms in my area I believe ( Chorley), but Im so unsure with things in life at the moment, & afraid that I will waste years and watch them go by making no headway, never being able to even visit places I aspired to see. Travel is important to me & I want to be able to visit the 7 wonders, and many other places. But as I said, at 24... I feel like im always running out of time & that I have so much catching up to do.

Just a quick note on the current placement I am in, It is literally just doing things like posting invoices, doing bank & CC recs everyday, and other general things with Sage & I am listed as accounts assistant. My issue with it, is that it doesn't feel like it will be any benefit to me whatsoever, maybe I am just worrying about nothing on that though.

Jerseygirl Apr 14th 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Looking for a bit of guidance.

Welcome to BE.

The US is one of the most difficult countries to move to...Canada may be easier. From what you have said you have little to chance of moving to the US in the near future. My advice would be too see it as a long term goal...10 years or so. Qualify as an accountant...get a job with one of the Big 4...in time you may be able to get a transfer across the pond. Below is a link to 'How to Live and Work in the USA.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Here is the link to our Canada forums...http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

WildfireV2 Apr 14th 2014 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11218698)
Welcome to BE.

The US is one of the most difficult countries to move to...Canada may be easier. From what you have said you have little to chance of moving to the US in the near future. My advice would be too see it as a long term goal...10 years or so. Qualify as an accountant...get a job with one of the Big 4...in time you may be able to get a transfer across the pond. Below is a link to 'How to Live and Work in the USA.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Here is the link to our Canada forums...http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Thanks for your reply.

"Get a job with the big 4", seems like something of an impossibility with the fact that I have a 2:2 degree, not sure If its because I am looking at the negative side of things lately, or if its just being realistic.

bakedbean Apr 15th 2014 1:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You're clearly not happy in your current work position. Since you are not tied, have you considered moving elsewhere within the UK? Maybe more opportunities in London...and a new adventure?

By the way, also just to say, in this world of text typing, how refreshing to see someone who knows their grammar and punctuation. Nice to see. Maybe you should be a writer :sneaky:

All the best with your researching jobs and hope something turns up.