London to Denver

London to Denver

Old Oct 12th 2013, 12:36 pm
SWD
Just Joined

SWD is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile London to Denver

Hi,
My husband has been offered a transfer with his company from London to America. We have a preference for Denver because it's more or less in the middle of the country and my husband will be required to travel to both the west and east coasts.

Our visas will be arranged by his company which is great. We are now trying to determine the cost of living in Denver so that we can better understand if this is financially a good move or at the very least, a manageable move.

I believe I will have to apply for my work visa once I'm in the country and I've heard this can take some time, so initially we will be living off one salary.

I'd welcome any information anybody can give me on finding work, daily living costs, places to live etc.

Many thanks
Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:11 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to Denver

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Your best bet is to check out the US section of this forum. It's a very lively forum with lots of helpful posters already living there. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out. All the best with the move.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

There's a pretty recent thread from someone doing something similar so you could perhaps search that out as a starting point.

If it's a company transfer, OH will get a L1 visa and you'll get a L2 visa. You apply for a EAD, costs a few hundred bucks, takes up to 60-90 days to receive and then you'll be allowed to work, have to renew it every year or two depending on how long they give on the card.

Plenty in the wiki up top though that'll cover a bunch of questions about the visa, relocation packages, credit history and driving to get you started.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 12:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SWD
Hi,
My husband has been offered a transfer with his company from London to America. We have a preference for Denver because it's more or less in the middle of the country and my husband will be required to travel to both the west and east coasts.

Our visas will be arranged by his company which is great. We are now trying to determine the cost of living in Denver so that we can better understand if this is financially a good move or at the very least, a manageable move.

I believe I will have to apply for my work visa once I'm in the country and I've heard this can take some time, so initially we will be living off one salary.

I'd welcome any information anybody can give me on finding work, daily living costs, places to live etc.

Many thanks

Hi...welcome to be.

Why don't you join us over in the US forums? You'll get plenty of advice about visas in the Immigration Forum and advice about living in the US and Trailer Park forums. Also check out the BE Wiki.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Main_Pag

I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.